Starting an Early model (1977) Shadow... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Starting an Early model (1977) Shadow II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Heuchan (203.14.169.17)
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2003 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

[I put this question to RREC but didnt get an answer so maybe somebody here can help.]
1.On switching to On postion should the fuel pump commence pumping immediately or as I understand it only on the Start postion then after engine is running is the pump electrical feed via the Oil pressurre Switch.Is this safety feature preventing the ful pump working in case of an accident applicable to all Shadows. 2/ Once engine started and the key is returned to the On/run position do all the tell tale lamps come on for a second or two so one can check that the circuits are OK before they extinguish. Can anybody confirm these two situations and does anybody have a circuit(s) they can email me. Regards, Harry Heuchan,Perth.

Biill Coburn (210.244.18.75)
Posted on Monday, 03 February, 2003 - 12:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry/

You are very observant. Rolls-Royce along with everyone else had to fit some safety device to stop those lil ole SU's pouring petrol all over the hapless passenders as they lay trapped in their inverted Shadow with the ignition still on. At about the same time there was some thought given to moving 100 litres of volatile fuel away from the immediate rear of the car to avoid barbecuing the rear seat passengers in the event of a rear end collision! Certainly as long as your key is turned to the start position the pumps will work. Meanwhile, having not used your car for a month and with hot weather the float bowls are empty, the starter is whirring its windings out turning over that massive crankshaft with all its attachments.

It is much kinder to turn on the ignition move the gear selector to reverse 'R' and hold the key to the start position for some time until the pumps stop ticking. Then into neutral or park and the beast should start having set the choke of course.

From SRH1011 most warning lights will come on when the key is turned to start and it is then that you will write in again and ask how to change a burnt out globe in a warning light panel!

I would need your chassis number (perhaps the car's would be more helpful) to send you a circuit diagram.

Harry Heuchan (203.14.169.17)
Posted on Tuesday, 04 February, 2003 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill
The chasis number is SRH31051 and my email adress is heuchan@iinet.net.au
Thanks Bill Harry Heuchan