Car Polish Problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Car Polish Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, 06 July, 2005 - 15:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently opened a container of "cut & polish" car polish and whilst using it; I noticed the polish was not drying out to a powder finish but remained greasy and smeared when I tried to buff it off.

Wiping the polish with a wet cloth easily removed the greasy coating and the polish then dried to a powder finish that could be buffed.

My conclusion is that the solvents in the polish have evaporated over time leaving a more viscous polish behind that will take much longer to dry out before buffing can occur. My question is does anyone know what solvents are used in car polishes so I can experiment with diluting the treacle paste I now have in a 4Kg tin. Water does not work as the polish loses its "cutting ability" during application.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, 07 July, 2005 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Car polishes 'used to' be kerosene based.
I'm not sure whether they still are, espescially the silicone ones now on the market.
My first employer (an old Amoco service station proprietor), used to add kero to a bucket full of water when washing his car and then buffed it after chamiosing. He had to clean the glass separately with something else but the car always shone like a new pin. This was in the 1960's. I don't know how modern paints would react to it though.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2005 - 14:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

During my recent stay in hospital, some birds got into the shed, and left some very acidic deposits on my MG. I found Brasso the best for cutting the 2 pac paint, and getting rid of the marks. Although I haven't tried it, I am told tooth paste works very well at cutting back difficult marks.

Marty

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2005 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Martin and can update on my efforts so far,

I am testing white spirit and kerosene at present - both do not immediately blend with the polish and the white spirit evaporates fairly quickly leaving the polish unchanged.

The kerosene did not blend over time and the mixture ended up like "Little Miss Muffet's" curds and whey.

I am now experimenting with water-based solutions so watch this space.