Azure Hood Hydraulics Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Azure Hood Hydraulics « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2016 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have changed the oil in the power hood of my Azure. The oil that was there was not green.
I have also overhauled 3 rams that were leaking and am now working on the fourth. Amazingly the Azure uses stock Mercedes rams.
The hydraulic reservoir was not totally clean but now you can eat your dinner from it.
How man rams are there in total in the Azure top assembly and can someone confirm that the right oil is indeed the green LHM that we use for the brakes/suspension?
Thanks
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I cannot seem to pull up anything in IETIS regarding what the "officially specified" hydraulic oil is for the Azure convertible top mechanism. That being said, I have a lot of information on oil options for the Corniche, and I cannot imagine that there could be much difference between the convertible top mechanisms as far as hydraulics go between the two.

If you're interested then download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for "Corniche" and you'll find the table of different oils that can be used along with their technical stats. LHM/HSMO is among the options, but so are others that are not dyed green.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ask castrol

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Brian.
Yes I didnt think the brown oil that was in the system was wrong as the system is a basic low temperature hydraulic system. This means that any hydraulic oil will do as long as it has the right SAE viscosity. I didnt want to risk it with the Azure so I put the originally supplied oil.
Thanks all the same.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

if the rams are mercedes then ask mercedes

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

You're quite welcome. You've hit the nail on the head: this is a low temperature hydraulic system and you could in theory use virtually any hydraulic oil that flows easily at the ambient temperatures (including colder extremes) when one would anticipate operating the top.

I do not treat each and every fluid that might go into a Rolls-Royce or Bentley as though it were likely to be some bespoke concoction. It appears they did learn something after doing this with RR363 and most of the other fluids, oils, etc., that I've seen used are conventional in many different similar systems on automotive or other applications.

I also hadn't thought about the fact that I list two places that overhaul the top hydraulics for Corniches and Azures in the resources file. Either one could tell you what oil they use.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 903
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now I have gone and created world war 3 in my house by bringing in anther Bentley Azure(without permission this time). The wrath of the minister of war is mine to contend with - but for now - my dear colleagues - I need to tell you that I bought the car at auction with an abandoned work activity. I need to finish off what the previous owner/garage etc has left unfinished.
The roof must have been an issue for the previous owner, so I now have a car that has two missing items in the roof actuation system. The two items are splined levers that connect two rams to the mechanism to allow the rams to rotate the steelwork that makes the roof go up and down.

Any idea where to buy these parts from? I have written to Flying spares and if the worst comes to worse I will take the parts off my other Azure and get them copied locally. I prefer to just buy the parts if I can.

Any ideas on how I can find an exploded view or if anyone knows where to buy these from? most of the roof mechanism is straight Mercedes Benz.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Take a look at the resources file and contact the two places listed in the section entitled, Convertible Hydraulic Repair Work.

Mr. Ficken of Mercedes Hydraulic Cylinder Repair was very willing to communicate with me when I was compiling this information. The folks at Top Hydraulics do work on Azures. Either one might be able to give you the information you seek if you send them the photos you've posted here.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.
By luck I found a 500SL that is being parted out locally and this car may have all the parts I need. Fingers crossed.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
Here are a few helpful pointers for Azure owners:
I have one Azure running with LHM oil in the convertible roof system and another running on good old fashioned hydraulic oil HD46. The two work just as well as each other but if I had my time again I would not have used LHM in the first Azure. I have noticed a pool of green oil under the exhaust tailpipe and i am not sure if it is the hydraulic system or the convertible roof system that is leaking. My black Azure will not give me this problem as i have purposely changed the oil spec to ensure two things. Firstly I have clear identification of oils if i ever find oil leaks anywhere and secondly because hydraulic oil is benign whereas LHM is a little more aggressive.

The second tip is - hydraulic lines for these cars cost an arm and a leg and a rib. I did however find a great vendor in the UK who sells fantastic hoses at half the price of the competition. He makes the hoses himself (he runs a hydraulic business) and he worked extra hard to get me a set of hoses within 6 days of calling him for an order. Not bad considering the hoses had to travel half way across the world to reach me. his details are as follows:

http://www.helperformance.com/

Hel Performance Products.
Lower Trelake Bus pk.
Tedburn rd.
Whitestone.
Exeter.
EX4 2HF

Phone: 0044 (0) 1392 811601 opt 7
Ask for Chris.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for reference - IETIS does make an oil recommendation for the Azure convertible roof. They suggest Esso Univis J26.
Yeah right!!!!! I will stick to the HD46 - easily available and works a treat.

The months of getting the roof to work on this car has finally paid off. Every single item in the roof mechanism had to be either redone or repaired or cleaned. Some real chimps must have been let loose on this car's top. The mechanical aspects of the car are however fantastic.
As soon as the cooler weather is with us I will be enjoying top down motoring in this lovely car.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

The chart on this page might prove helpful to those trying to cross refererence various hydraulic oils.

http://www.hfifluidpowerproducts.com/Pages/Hydraulic-Fluid.html

In the case of a convertible top you can really get away with a very wide latitude provided you're not trying to put the top down in temperatures far below freezing (and who does that?). As you note, HD46 will work just fine as well.

Also, based on a couple of other references, it appears that any ISO 22 weight oil is "close enough" to match the Univis J26. Here's one company's cross reference:
http://petroleumservicecompany.com/exxon-univis-j-26-cross-reference/

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, 28 June, 2017 - 03:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

many thanks for that Brian.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: