Air Conditioning Performance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Air Conditioning Performance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2015 - 07:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I conducted a driving-time experiment today: what is the performance of the air conditioning in a modern vehicle? How does it compare to what I have seen so far in my 1970 Silver Shadow after conversion to R134a?
The vehicle of choice was my 2012 GMC pickup, which I consider to have an air conditioning system which performs well. I inserted my air conditioning thermometer in one of the vents and kept an eye on it while driving today.
I was somewhat surprised: typically, with today's outdoor ambient of 90 to 91F, the outlet temp seemed to be controlling around 60 to 65 F with a fairly high but not max blower speed. The lowest temp I saw was about 54F. It's an automatic system so it controls the fan speed as well as the temperature. I don't know exactly how it controls, but maybe the Shadow is doing pretty well with a vent temp of 60F at idle with an electric fan in front of the "Parthenon". I know it was throwing down some condensate: it was humid when I was testing it, and I had the two front windows open. There was a pretty nice puddle underneath in a short time. I know the evaporator was clean on the outside because I saw it when I repaired the heater core and flap bushings.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, 13 July, 2015 - 06:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would say 90 to 60 is a 30f drop. Which sounds about right.

I dont think its going to get any better on 134a.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

That seems a bit warm to me. I'll do some actual checking on my other cars if it gets hot enough today.

My Cadillac, which is an R12 system, can churn out 48F/9C air when the temperature is in the 90s (this is after a system recharge a couple of weeks ago). My Buick, my partner's truck, and SRH33576 all seem to do even better than that, just by feel, and they're all R134a.

I think today's supposed to remain on the coolish side here, but it won't be more than a day or two until we're at or very near 90F/32C and humid. I'll report back once I can get readings.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2015 - 05:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

As another data point, my '96 Buick Roadmaster was able to put out air at 53F with ambient temperature of 87F. The system is R134a.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2015 - 06:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I ran my thermometer test on my 2008 Ford Taurus company car today: it was putting out air from about 55F to 60F, usually near or at 60. The ambient is about 90f.
As I consider its performance to be sufficient also, I am going to take the Shadow out for an on-road test. It may be fine as it is.
I am expecting a parallel-flow condenser this week and I hope to install it in the Wraith as part of its ac rehab.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: