Work shop lighting. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Work shop lighting. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.83
Posted on Thursday, 01 January, 2015 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was such a nice day today 9c, that I have started my workshop tidy up plus. The plus being do it properly.

I did a bit and decided that more lighting would be good. I have 6 spare 4 ft tube fittings and twin earth wire spare.

There should only be one shadow in the workshop not lots.

I knew I could crowbar a joke in some where.

There is a British std lumens per square whatever. An electrical shop will tell how much and options to get the lumens right.

I am using old fashioned florescent tubes 60w each daylight.

My workshop is square and 7m by 7m And 3.2m high. Flat roof.

Original I fitted 4 tubes. I have double this and the effect is very much better. I found my missing 3/4 af snap on long series spanner.

Good lighting is so important in a workshop. I can't cut precisely to line if I can't see it properly.

There are many lighting options. I saw some expensive led things which use much less power than tubes. But then there's the pay back time.
I am not short On power just the money to pay for it.

(Message approved by david_gore)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2015 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The electrician checked my lights in the workshop and signed the Work off.

He explained some stuff about fluorescent tubes which I didn't know.

Tube dia is measured in 1/8s, so a T12 is 1 and 1/2 inches. Also called T38 which is 38mm.

The amount of power used to start a tube is very small and is about the same as running for 10secs.

If not using for at least 5 mins then turning off saves power.

Also turning off saves tube wear.

So turning off saves power and tube wear. A double saving.

The tube rating of 55watts is 60 watts including ballast. Not that 5w at 240v is anything to worry about.

Tubes are 4 to 10 times better than incandescent bulbs.

My tubes are 15 lumens per watt. I think or was that bulbs.

According to the sparks led workshop lighting is not that good, and the power savings are not that big in comparison to tubes rather than incandescent. He does recommend the led for lead lamps because they can be knocked around.

Anyway a big improvement.

Note for UK people. Working on mains without a cert. is allowed but you must have it checked. Fortunately one of my mates did it for nothing. I have to fit pads to his Astra van. He pays for parts.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: