Zinc plating. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Zinc plating. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.83
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

120 grams and 100 grams of Epsom salts per litre of vinegar.

Plastic bucket inside line bucket with roofing zinc strips connect these electrically and connect to 3 vdc positive.

Place a copper tube across the top of the bucket using garden hose as insulators at the ends so that the tube cannot short out to the zinc. Connect copper tube to 3vdc negative.

Hang the bit to be plated in the solution fully submerged using copper wire.

Wait 30 minutes and this should give 0.001 to 0.002" of zinc plate.

Rust will not zinc plate.

The above formula is from triumph motor bike lads.

I shall try it on my brake reservoir lid.

(Message approved by david_gore)

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob when I was about twenty years old I worked in a Hot dip galvanizing plant all the objects to be dipped had to be pickled in acid so the Zinc would adhere to the object to be plated I would imagine something similar would be needed to Electro Galvanize objects good luck.
Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Citric acid, which is pretty readily available since it's used as a food additive, makes an excellent pickle, hot or cold.

I can't recall the mixing proportion of water to granular acid, but it's readily available via a web search.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny you should mention that.

Because if the bit of rusty steel is suspended in washing soda sodium carbonate not sodium BIcarbonate as a cathode negative and a anode of steel then the steel will migrate from the anode to the rusty cathode and pop the rust off and turn the under rust into steel.

It takes 48 hours at 6vdc.

Then a good scrub and boil in more washing soda.

10% washing soda for the electrolyte and more for boiling.

Then zinc plate. Finger grease will muck it up. So you have to be fussy clean.

Also dry cell batteries some have pure zinc cases which can be peeled off and cleaned for anodes positive.

I am going to try this because it's cheap enough to throw away if I got it wrong. And won't damage the dot tank lid.

However using stainless as an anode works but the electrolyte becomes laden with chrome which is illegal to throw down the drain.

If the polarity is changed the part that is being recovered will be damaged.

I am sure the info is correct because this method of recovering rusty stuff is used by museums.

It all fairly safe apart from hydrogen gas, not much though so best done outside.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, 08 September, 2014 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are detailed instructions on how to set up an electrolytic rust conversion tank on You Tube. Some go into more detail than others and can include the calculations for optimum electrode areas, distances and voltage/current settings.
Alternatively a google search will pick up dozens of web sites with discussions on the subject with even more details.
I also once worked for an electro-plating company based in central Sheffield back in the 70's. Eventually they moved to the outskirts of Rotherham where they were prosecuted for discharging toxic waste into the river system resulting in killing everything for several miles downstream. They got away with it twice by blaming different workers for the 'escape' and sacking them, but when it happened a third time the fines were so heavy that they had to file for bankruptcy and folded.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 04:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Polluting water courses is seriously anti social we have a local company that dumped 50 or 500 litres of sludge from garage forecourt run off interceptors. It cost thousands to clean up the mess. It smelt horrible. The company had their waste licence revoked.

I went to get the washing soda and not one shop had it. So it's a trip into town which is next week because I try to get max usefulness out of the petrol.

I need to make a temporary brake tank lid. From a side of a plastic gallon container. I can't leave the tank exposed for a week. It will suck in damp.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try Wilko/Wilkinson's stores. Alternatively some £ shops may have it on the shelves. My usual 'town day' is Wednesday for the local junk market.

"One man's junk is another man's gold!"

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a wilco about 5 miles I shall try there next week. This week is tidy up week. And I have been invaded by brambles which I am going to kill this week.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: