Brush painting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Brush painting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Before spraying there was brushes. Brush painting was the traditional way of finishing the first cars by 1920 spraying was the way to go.

Spraying is quicker and better for large areas.

Brush painting can give a good enough finish for a daily driver or with a very skilled brush man show quality.

Paint. 2 choices cellulose or enamel.

Cellulose is a converter paint what this means is that when the paint drys if cellulose thinners is applied the paint will turn to liquid and can actually be reused as paint.
This makes cellulose very easy to spray because a coat of wet cellulose will turn the top of the dry coat back to wet paint.
Unfortunately this makes cellulose difficult to brush paint.
The very best cellulose paints for brushing was ICI brushing Belco. Which is no longer available but a substitute can be made for normal cellulose and very slow thinners 30% thinners 70% paint approximately. Because cellulose is.a converter paint overbrushing will cause a really bad finish. This paint drys in 5 mins so it has to go on fast and not be played with.

Enamel is like exterior grade gloss. ICI make a enamel for vehicles called coach paint. White spirit is used for thinners.

AEC used to paint new buses one coat over primer. They would pour paint on the roof and very quickly with 6" brush do the whole roof. The paint guys didn't muck about and they put the paint on fast.

The preparation for brush is the same for spraying.
For car a 3" Harris pure bristle brush. Thin paint 5-10% never use direct from can.
Load brush fully edges first move paint to middle horizontal then line out vertically then horizontally again and leave to dry the paint starts to dry after 15mins and hard in 3 hours and rub downable in 2 days. One brush load should do a complete door and 2 for a roof.
Always work fast because enamel is not a converter paint a semi dry edge will cause a problem.

Runs can be brushed put only if the paint is not about dry. If.the run is bad then very thin paint can if you are quick. Otherwise leave until dry (3 days due to thickness of paint) and flatten with 400 wet and lots of hand soap. Then redo.

Cellouse is much the same except the paint dry in 5 mins and 1 hour dead hard.and mistakes can be rub down and redone the same day.

The key to a good finish is speed of application you must not play with the paint get it on fast and accurately because there is no time for being careful with paint going where it shouldn't fully mask the car as for spraying.

I have done a cars like this and end result is shinny. Cellulose can be rub down and polished I did MG Magnette is midnight blue cellulose and it looked very good and when I sold the New owner thought it had been professionally resprayed. It took 3 weeks a spray gun 3 days.
I did van in 2 hours with exterior gloss quick rub down no masking cut in around the bits and one coat of cream. The van looked good the owner was pleased and I made a profit. What we call in Dorset "proper job". Either that or pay 3 times the amount for a spray job.

I saw a XJ6 brushed and rollered in white by a circus guy and it was faultless.

He said that the mechanical action of the brush touching the surface gives a better bonds. He wouldn't tell me what paint but I could smell enamel. Whether he right who knows.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read an article in a car hobbyists' magazine a few years ago: the author was able to paint a car with a brush and end up with a pretty nice finish. It required a lot of flatting and polish, but once early on that's the way they did it.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.79
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They used to use cod fish skin to rub down. Most public bus companies still brush paint. The last van I did was a merc 207D and I hit it fast with one coat of Wickes Brilliant white, lined it out and straight on to the next panel. It looked nice and fresh. Then I satin aerosoled the bumpers New no plates. £40 and 2 days.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

I am sure a number of our members would be very interested in seeing what a virtually lost art can achieve in the hands of a craftsman.

Unfortunately, you cannot post photos as a guest but I can if you send them to me by email. If you have or can get some photos of your work, send me a PM with your current email address or email me if you still have my email address and I will get back to you to arrange transfer of the photos for posting in this forum.

Regards David

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: