Technial Library http://www.rrtechnic... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Technial Library http://www.rrtechnical.info/ « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3044
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2014 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.rrtechnical.info/

There have already been over 200,000 visits. How about some feedback on how to improve the site, without any suggestions of advertisements, alternative methods or dodgy components ?

We have some new material to publish, and any more suggestions would be most welcomed.

RT.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2014 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

General non make specific technical. All cars work the same.

Different territories car related regs.

Jokes

picture gallery with short captions any thing engineering and any make of car.
Traction engines for instance.

(Message approved by david_gore)

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2014 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi maybe a rogues gallery section Photos/stories that make the users of these pages aware of the pitfalls that exist in tying to repair/maintain these cars I have noticed lately some of the posts that I can only describe as foolhardy and dangerous.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2014 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd like to see an extension of the miscellaneous technical sections for matters not covered in Tee-one topics. Examples would be Bob Reynolds' recent forum entry on the windscreen wiper parking mechanism and Brian's document on O-ring sizes for the hydraulic system.

A possible mechanism would be for the administrators to formally invite forum members to submit articles for review.

It would be really helpful to have this kind of information readily accessible in an extended miscellaneous library, built up over the years.

Geoff.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Thursday, 07 August, 2014 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love rogue stuff and idiot repairs because I can be smug and call the architect of the mess a fool. Schdanfreud (misspelt).

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Thursday, 07 August, 2014 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Schadenfreude indeed. Surely unintended, but there certainly have been several unfortunate workmanship and materials suggestions on this Forum recently which could lead to misery for others as Bob implies,

As a guide, please remember that most of the material in the Technical Library is published with the kind permission of Bentley Motors Limited. Therefore the site cannot entertain too many endorsements of shortcuts in repair methods, and certainly no recommendations concerning substitute spare parts.

RT.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, 07 August, 2014 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unless Bentley Motors wishes to be viewed as utterly capricious I doubt very much that they are monitoring what enthusiasts who are maintaining cars decades out of production are recommending as far as alternatives.

No enthusiast website is a subsidiary of Bentley Motors and they have no reason to believe that information typically offered in the collector car community for many marques would not also be offered for their own.

Bentley Motors would not have released a trove of copyrighted material into the "semi-public" domain if they did not feel it was in their best interests to do so. It's almost impossible to find an authorized Bentley dealer in the United States who has anyone on staff who has knowledge on how to maintain anything earlier than an Arnage (or Rolls-Royce of the same era).

An enthusiasts technical library should include a great deal of non-official information regarding the maintenance of these cars that becomes more and more necessary over time. That material should be vetted such that it is agreed that the proposed methods, parts, etc., are in all reasonable likelihood safe. The old saying, "You can't make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious," definitely applies. There are always those who will insist on making ill-advised decisions.

If one's primary concern is about what Bentley Motor's might think then you had might as well not touch anything with regard to content without running it past them first.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, it is brilliant! Got me out of trouble on many occasions whilst out on site. Keep up the great work.

Nothing like being able to pull up a page of parts and get a part number to order that odd and very obscure part that somebody has lost or SO STUPIDLY replaced with some totally unsuitable item they have found kicking around their workshop floor.

Hopefully members will appreciate Bentley's generosity and use it wisely.

I have pointed many clients to the site and saved them a lot of heartache because they have been able to do job correctly and safely and . . . do it right first time.

You can lead a horse to water . .. . .

Brian you are spouting off about something that you obviously have no knowledge about. Bentley have not released all this information to the public. It has been pirated, copied, sold and disseminated illegally.

Bentley are very generous allowing a free database of copyrighted material to exist. We are very lucky indeed.

If you started copying and selling the information in a commercial manner they WILL exercise their rights as the owner of that material and WILL threaten you with legal action. We need to keep Bentley on the site's side.

I think the point Richard was trying to politely get over is that to keep the quality of information to a high standard you can't just add any old suggestion.

There are many articles already compiled which deviate from workshop procedure but do so in a 100% safe way and many are better than the originally specified way. Luckily we, as users, have a team of people who decide what goes in the site database for prosperity, but also allows a free reign to almost all posts and posters.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 948
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I suggest you read what I wrote, and not what you'd like to think I did.

Bentley has kindly allowed material on which the still hold copyright to be freely disseminated, without charge, via the RROC Australia Post-War Technical Library. That is what I term the "semi-public" domain. Effectively it is, for all practical intents and purposes, now public domain but Bentley could, if so inclined, revoke permission to freely distribute.

I have never, even once, intimated that attempts to sell that material, in any form, be undertaken.

I understand that you just can't add "any old suggestion." At the same time, one should not avoid adding a multitude of suggestions that are not and have not ever been "official."

The Tee-One Topics Archive is replete with myriad non-official techniques, alternatives, etc., and it seems that it is very well received and respected.

It is utter nonsense to restrict materials in on an enthusiasts' website based upon the belief that it somehow might "offend" the company. They really could not care less about what is generated by others with regard to the care and feeding of cars they ceased to support in any meaningful sense a long, long time ago. This has been confirmed by a member (or, perhaps former member) of the RROC-US Board of Directors when this same concern was raised on our shores two years ago.

I am tired of the myth that Bentley Motors has "gentle sensitivities" and is disposed to pulling the access to the material they've kindly granted consent for the library to post publicly because alternative parts, clever techniques, or unofficial modifications are maintained in the library. You yourself repeated exactly what I've just said, and was discussing in my last post, in your final paragraph.

Richard's insistence that one cannot, under any circumstances, have a compendium of cross-over parts is not justified and had nothing whatsoever to do with either quality or safety. Discussion of "whatever's necessary" to keep these cars alive and functioning is perfectly justified and essential to the long term survival of any collector car.

Brian

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

Richard's insistence that one cannot, under any circumstances, have a compendium of cross-over parts is not justified and had nothing whatsoever to do with either quality or safety.

Now that is a scary opinion considering some of the recent topics aired on this Forum.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3049
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back to the topic. The Technical Library may be clinical, opinion-free and advertisement-free by design, but that is its charter. There is room to move sideways of course. This Forum, and various Club Periodicals or related publications, have room for less austere opinions and approaches.

Suggestions for improvements and additional subject material to suit the Technical Library would be most welcome.

RT.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 950
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

You'll note that I have repeatedly said that material would be vetted. My quoted statement still stands very well within that context which was clearly established.

It would be nice, if possible, to have a search box function integrated into the library pages. I know one can achieve the same with a search engine using the "site:" operator, but it's more than appropriate to have one integral to a library.

Also, and I know this is a huge request and would involve long periods of time and many hours of work: If the materials that were scanned prior to the use of OCR to create the PDF files could be scanned again and be searchable both within a PDF reader and by any site search function this would be a great improvement. So many "little things" appear in these documents where one might least expect them. If you know about these they're still sometimes difficult to locate, but if you don't know anything about them and cannot do an exhaustive search of the documents they're almost certain to remain "hidden."

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Also, and I know this is a huge request and would involve long periods of time and many hours of work: If the materials that were scanned prior to the use of OCR to create the PDF files could be scanned again and be searchable both within a PDF reader and by any site search function this would be a great improvement. So many "little things" appear in these documents where one might least expect them. If you know about these they're still sometimes difficult to locate, but if you don't know anything about them and cannot do an exhaustive search of the documents they're almost certain to remain hidden."

OK - here is an opportunity for the members of this forum provide some assistance to the dedicated few who maintain the Technical Library for the benefit of all of us.

If you have Adobe Acrobat [V7 or higher] installed on your computer, you can use the inbuilt OCR facility ["Recognise text using OCR" under the Document Tab on the Menu Bar in v7] to scan an existing pdf document without having to use a scanner first. If the document is then saved with "OCR" added to the title to distinguish it from the original, it can then be searched by keyword/phrase.

If Richard wants this help, we can respond to his request if posted here to provide OCR-processed pdf files for the Library.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 18:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard
May I suggest to enlarge the selection of Owners' Manuals. These contain a lot of useful service instructions apart from what is written just for the regular operation. Especially the pre-WW2 models lack proper workshop manuals (apart from a collection of sundry factory leaflets for re-commissioning laid-up cars after the war, which is already available on the Technical Library).
Another mine of very sound technical instructions, mainly for EPW cars, are the essays by Norman Geeson, mostly published on www.kda132.com. I think that the "regulars" are aware of these articles, but for a new owner of such a car at least a link to this site would be helpful. Norman Geeson has done a lot of research before writing anything and he knows these cars inside out.
Just my pennyworth.
Jonas

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, 27 November, 2014 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Gore wrote: OK - here is an opportunity for the members of this forum provide some assistance to the dedicated few who maintain the Technical Library for the benefit of all of us.

If you have Adobe Acrobat [V7 or higher] installed on your computer, you can use the inbuilt OCR facility ["Recognise text using OCR" under the Document Tab on the Menu Bar in v7] to scan an existing pdf document without having to use a scanner first. If the document is then saved with "OCR" added to the title to distinguish it from the original, it can then be searched by keyword/phrase.

If Richard wants this help, we can respond to his request if posted here to provide OCR-processed pdf files for the Library.

I have very recently come upon a utility, PDF-XChange Viewer (also PDF-Xchange Editor as well), from Tracker Software that has the ability to OCR an existing image PDF document. It is available free to home users and there appears to be no restriction on using the OCR-ed files it creates based upon their licensing. I have just run their OCR facility on TSD5069 [Major Changes After SZ VIN 30001] and it appears to work very well. I intend to slowly work my way through the documents I have downloaded from rrtechnical.info so the Windows search utility can search them.

If anyone is interested in seeing the OCR-ed version of TSD5069 and would like to have copies of any of the OCR-ed versions of image PDFs I create for the technical library, please PM or e-mail me.

Brian

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 03 December, 2014 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I HAVE FOR A LONG TIME THOUGHT THAT WE ARE ALL MISSING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY SERVICE BULLETINS. I WAS INVOLVED FROM THE START OF SHADOW RANGE AND AS WE ALL KNOW, THERE HAVE BEEN LOTS OF UPDATES AND USEFULL BULLETINS LIKE THE GRAPH TO SET UP REAR STANDING HEIGHT ETC. I AM IN PROCESS OF TRYING TO OBTAIN FROM MY OLD COMPANY, SHOULD HAVE JUST NICKED THEM AT TIME! THEN FOLLOWING BRIAN'S ADVISE TURN THEM INTO A FILE-WATCH THIS SPACE.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: