Regulator Queries Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Regulator Queries « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2001 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys and girls,

A couple of months ago I replaced the regulator in my MK VI after the temperature sensor burnt out. I put in a reg without the temperature sensor, that was a spare for my MG Magnette. It has been doing a sterling service up till now. It seems to not want to close. After I start the car, I have to open the bonnet and manually close the points on the reg to get the red light to go out. After a run of say 10 or 15 minutes, I can stop the car and restart it, and the reg operates properly. Anybody got any ideas? The capacitor attached to the firewall is a 150 volt unit, and the local parts shop had only 12 volt capacitors for distributors. I thought maybe this could be effecting it. I took it off and cleaned the earth contact, but no change. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I burn this reg out as well! (haven't got a spare one this time!)

Richard Treacy
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2001 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Regulator Mk VI.

Sounds like your generator brushes are worn out.

RT.

Martin Cutler
Posted on Tuesday, 07 August, 2001 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard, I will check them out.

Martin Cutler
Posted on Monday, 27 August, 2001 - 17:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

Brushes where OK, seems it was the regulator. I had the charging rate a bit low at 13 volts, so have increased this to 13.7 volts. Seems to pull in happily now