Private messaging system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Private messaging system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Frequent User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the private messaging system working?

I have tried to send two over the past two days - I also don't get a response when ticking the "post to yourself" box.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, the answer is yes.

Your PM to me was received and I have responded.

Regards David

Leho Proos
Experienced User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How does one get access to the private messaging system? I cannot seem to find it on the forum.
Leho

Geoff Wootton
Frequent User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Apologies David - the return messages were going into my spam folder - now corrected.

Leho - Just click on the person's name (coloured blue) under the column "Author." A new screen will appear. At the bottom of the new screen is a button marked "Click Here to send a private message to ....." Your message will be delivered to the email address that the person registered with.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leho,

In addition to what Geoff just mentioned, which is the easy and typical way to send a PM to someone, you can also do a direct send if you know the person's username.

The "generic" PM URL is:

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/board-profile.pl?action=sendmsg&to=USERNAME&db=users

So, for instance, if you were trying to send directly to me without having a message I posted showing, you can paste the above URL into your browser and put "guyslp" (sans quote marks) in for USERNAME.

I've always found it odd that you can't go to a PM screen and then select the person you want to send it to, but I have yet to find a way to do that.

Brian

Leho Proos
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks chaps. One learns something everyday.
Now, how is one alerted to any incoming PMs?
Leho

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leho,

You get an e-mail with a direct link. You should have one already for the demo PM I sent to you.

Brian

Leho Proos
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian and Bill for the PMs. So as I understand it, PMs are an email system and the forum does not store PMs but only provides an email address.
Interestingly, I've just switched to Windows 8, when I click a posters name I get a 'click here to send PM'. However left clicking on 'here' is blocked. My workaround is to right click and select open from the dropdown menu.
Learn something everyday. Thanks again for sorting this out for a poor frozen Canadian.
Leho

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: