Where is the Fuel Pump? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Where is the Fuel Pump? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, 20 July, 2001 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1973 Silver Shadow that needs a fuel pump. I would like to retrofit an American 6lb. electric fuel pump (Carter or equivelent). querious where the factory pump is located on vehicle. Is it in the fuel tank or an in line setup.

John Wright
Posted on Monday, 23 July, 2001 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The fuel pump on the Shadow series cars is located on the drivers side under the forward area of the boot. It is adjacent to the the rear spring and shock absorber mounting.

In fact the pumping unit consists of two chambers acting together and syncronised. SU were the original manufacturers, they have been taken over by Burlen Industries (in UK) and a new electrical pointless pump is now available.

Roy Tilley
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2001 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to disagree with John Wright but I think he may be talking about the fuel filter. The double- ended SU pump on my 72 Shadow is on the underside of the car under the driver's seat. Either way it is certainly in-line, not submerged.

Why not stick to the original? All it's likely to need are the contacts cleaning or replacing and it's good for many more years. Or as John says get a pointless replacement which will fit in the same place as the original.

Regards

Roy Tilley
Technical Liaison Officer
New Zealand Rolls-Royce and Bentley Club

John Wright
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2001 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just physically checked my car, a December 1978 Shadow II and the fuel pump is adjacent to the rear driver's side coil spring, but mounted higher up. Apparently the location of the fuel pump changed at some time between the Series I and Series II.

Roy Tilley
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2001 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You learn something new every day. Thanks John.

James Kennedy
New User
Username: james_kennedy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2013 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
I have a pierburg fuel pump on my Camargue which is broken...this pump is now obsolete...can I replace it with the twin SU pump?
Any advice out there?
James Kennedy

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2013 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

You may wish to contact Bentley Zionsville, AKA Albers or John Palma at Palma Classic Cars with this question.

I know that Albers sells an aftermarket pump to replace the Pierburg pump and I don't know of anyone who's put an SU fuel pump on a car originally fitted with a Pierburg.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: