1989 Bentley Engine Number Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » 1989 Bentley Engine Number « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Allan W. L.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.209.249.183
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2004 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me the engine serial number location on a 1989 Bentley? Is it some place obvious or is it tough to see? Does the number have any relation to the cars VIN? Is there a data plate on the car's body showing the engine number?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cheers, Allan '72 Spitfire, '72 MGB, No Bentley (Yet...)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is stamped on the block next to the distributor, and should have 5 digits, then L410I followed by T if a Turbo then probably /8 .

For example. 75002L410IT/8

The L410 stands for passenger 410 cubic inch, even though it is really 412 (411.9) cu in. The I stands for fuel injection.

The number is unrelated to the chassis number unlike cars prior to the 1987 model year where it was the same. Those earlier cars also have the serial number below the aircon compressor and a build sequence number near the oil filler housing, although the locations were strangely swapped between Turbo motors and NA motors.

Allan W. L.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 216.209.249.179
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard!

That's a great help!

Be sure to check out my British car website - www.britishcarlinks.com. I'll be adding a link in my Forum Directory to this very helpful forum.

Cheers,
Allan

Jeanne Eve
Username: jeve

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Allan,
Delighted to see that once again our open forum has provided a relevant and rapid answer to a query from our wide range of participants. Saw that you have added this site to your links - thank you!
Regards,
Jeanne Eve

Allan W. L.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 206.172.75.141
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 13:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne and Richard,

I did get to see the car today (a Turbo R imported from England to here in Canada). I pulled the engine number which was exactly where Richard said it would be. The first five digits was the serial followed by the L410.

Now here's where it gets interesting. The last three characters look like 1 I/I. If I had no idea what was supposed to be there that is what I would say is stamped. However, as Richard mentions the 1 is actually an I for injected and the next one should be T for turbo. Taking that into consideration The T's stamped into the block just look like I's to me (they definitely have the bottom line). This would make the last three characters I T/T. Is this possible?

Last monkey wrench to throw in - the vehicle registration has the engine number and shows the last three characters as 1 T/I. Perhaps this is correct and I'm just not reading what is stamped properly.

One other question. The VIN tag on the A pillar had the number 04605T above the 17 digit VIN. What does this indicate? The 17 digit VIN does check out - the shorter number seems to have no relation to it.

Once again looking for some words of wisdom.

Many thanks,
Allan
P.S. I'm quite enjoying my crash course in Bentley I.Ding!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The engine number identification comprises the following from 1990, and it may be relevant in part for a 1989 model year car. If I find the exact information for a 1989 I shall post it.

1. 5 digit sequence number
2. 5 character base engine code, eg L410I prior to 1994, L410M from 1994
3. Single character code, T for Turbo, N for naturally aspirated
4. Single character exhaust code, K for catalytic converter (and closed loop injection), E for standard exhaust
5. A single code for the model year of the engine introduction. L=1990, N=1992, R=1994, S=1995, T=1996.

Incidentally, from 1994 the number was stamped at the front of the motor again. Ho hum. Why did they mix the location so much ?