Shock Damper shaft seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shock Damper shaft seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2001 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently I overhauled the rear dampers on an S2 and found the typical corroded shafts that effectively eat out the shaft seals. This was corrected by undercutting, metal spraying and re-finishing. But the seals intrigue me. Why such a thick 'primitive seal' My seal man suggested double lip seals which would fit perfectly and probably overcome the shaft corrosion problem. Any suggestions?

david Jones
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2001 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had the rear dampers overhauled on my Cloud 1, and the seals have been replaced with a lip type of seal. One of the units is fine and no leakage, the other has leaked and I would suggest that you have the internal bushes of the dampener checked or replaced during the overhaul.
I think that this may be the cause of the leakage from my unit.
Kind Regards
David Jones
Perth WA

Bill Coburn
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2001 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thabks David I'll give them a try. Aty least with the front shocks it is a siimple matter to whip the seals out.

Cheers