Silver seraph Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Silver seraph « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dick Wood
Experienced User
Username: woody

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2006 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recentley I bought a Silver Seraph on ebay. Great deal but importing to Canada has been a royal pain. Does anyone know how to activate the daytime running lights so I can have the car passed in Canada?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2006 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As i am not at the correct place and rather busy for the time being i can only maybe point you in the direction of your good local garage, he may be able to scroll through the data to lights and activate the lights if a fault or otherwise.

Ps did you use a row row ferry beats the container.

Dick Wood
Experienced User
Username: woody

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2006 - 15:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I imported the car from Florida to Canada near Detroit. Private contractor trucked it and paid $750 for 1500 miles. My nearest dealer is 350 km away. I am unable to get a temporary permit to drive it so that would be another shipping charge. I am debating on jumping the light switch untill I get the inspection. Looks difficult to get too under the dash. Still easier than shipping it again.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, 14 March, 2006 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dick,

While I have no experience whatsoever with the Seraph - I did go to its release in Australia and something in my memory keeps nagging at me about it having a computerised control system which may have extended to the vehicle lighting system.

If you can find a friendly garage with a Bosch diagnostic computer; they may be able to contact Bosch and get the access instructions for the Seraph and check if there is a facility for setting the sidelights to come on with the ignition thus solving your problem. Otherwise you could even call Bosch direct, tell them how you are miles from a R-R dealer and need to have a copy of the diagnostic codes for the Seraph to give to local repairers servicing your vehicle.

Unfortunately, this model has not yet shown up in the hands of Club members in any great numbers so information is rather scarce as the R-R/B dealers want to maximise their servicing of this model. Hopefully, one of our users will have had experience with computerised control systems on other makes and might be able to advise further.

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Wednesday, 05 April, 2006 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dick & David,
I spoke with my mechanic who has worked on Seraphs.He tells me that all programables e.g. daytime running lights were done via the portable computer that the main dealers had.This computer is almost identical to the one used by BMW dealers to diagnose late 90's 7 series BMW.
There were no paper workshop manuals,everything was on CD ROM.

(Message approved by david_gore)

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, 11 March, 2010 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another older topic, but one I'm contemplating. Some manufactures will not give a recall clearance letter unless your going to install the daytime running lights at the dealer. So far RR (BMW) is not making you go to the authorized dealer. Check first cause that could change.

On the lights themselves. Headlights are pricey items to replace. You can add a relay/switch, but the lights are not designed for full time use. They'll burn out a lot faster. So you'll be replacing them in the future. In that future, like the one piece Spur lights. They might be harder to find at a reasonable price. I'm looking to update my Spur to those one piece "European" over the current American two piece installed. Since I'm living in Canada, also want daytime running just for full new looks.

Little price high for lights--think over $2,000 Canadian for a set and near or impossible to find used. The dealer available new lights however have lower light settings for during day usage and they last longer. Its one of those spend a little extra today and save in the long run deals. Its also just easier to pass inspection done right and proper. Even though the best place for inspections is Canadian tire, cause they have no real clue and do not want to do repairs on my recently imported Porsche and Mercedes, so definitely not a Royce either. The inspection is therefore. Mechanic does the basic safety items and if needed repair they make you agree you'll take care of it elsewhere. Then they pass you!

Another consideration. Stronger Canadian dollar, thanks natural resource rich. The U.S dollar is about the same or very close. Dealers especially in Canada--seem to be offering their more exotic inventory at the same prices as the states, but in Canadian dollars. 3 Seraphs for sale in Vancouver I've looked at. Well the asking price is less then the ones I've seen offered in the states. 20% duty with importation registration hassles, inspections and modifications. Its easier now to just buy in Canada. Most of their inventory will usually be a former U.S car anyway! Also cars 15 years or older do not need to meet emissions and crash standards. So this opens up buying European models not available to Canadians back in the day. So import only if older, newer just buy in Canada!

Slight warning. Canada has a lot of imports from Japan--at least with an American delivered car you can get a carfax. Accident flood damage salvaged titled cars are harder to hide, same with rolled back odometers, etcetera. Japanese imports are a different story. Most imported from Japan vehicles are not what one wants when buying a used car!

Clifford Donley
Frequent User
Username: flatus

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, 28 January, 2013 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do have the whole listing of codes for the Seraphs and the instructions for inputting them. (The one that was driving me crazy was the audio warning when exceeding 75-mph).

Cliff
2000 Seraph LAY-04618

Clifford Donley
Frequent User
Username: flatus

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, 09 June, 2014 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Changed the cabin air (pollen) filters on Rosie, my 2000 Seraph LAY04618, this morning. The job took less than an hour from start to finish. I used a set of Mann CUK2736-2 filters available from Amazon for $21.06 for the pair. Brian had them on his list as an alternative for Arnages which share identical filters with most Seraphs.

I followed the IETIS directions using an old-fashioned parking brake adjusting tool to gently work my away around the covers of the wells in which the filters are inserted. By being exceedingly careful the covers were removed and,finally the old filter cassettes, without damaging the rubber seals that prevent water intrusion.

The dimensions of the new filters matched exactly those of the old. In they went, the seals were reapplied, the cassette holder reinserted, and the lid, with its seal, secured. Job finished. The first filter took longest; the second took just under twenty minutes. Having the brake adjusting tool was important.

Cliff Donley
Columbia, South Carolina
'Rosie' 2000 Seraph LAY-04618

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It shouldn't be too difficult to add a simple relay to switch the dipped beam headlights on with the ignition, but including a high wattage, low resistance resistor into the power feed to drop the voltage at the lamp and thus giving it a much longer lifespan. However on some xenon or krypton bulbs the opposite might happen as they are designed so that most of the metal evaporated from the element is supposed to re-evaporate from the inside of the envelope so that it can redeposit/recycle onto the element.
Have you considered using brighter (?LED?) bulbs in the sidelights and wiring those up for day time use?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: