Phantom VIII Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Phantom VIII « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

So now we have the new Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII

What are your thoughts?

Here are some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzinHD9tqmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ZlgkxCTLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBQ2WWw2ii4

I know I would have one in a heart beat!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I only watched the first video.

I cannot work out why the lady did not trip over the bottom of her slacks - poor thing needs to learn how to sew a hem before she loses her teeth.

The Phantom 8 would be stopped by any decent pot hole in Australia of which there are many. My road would truly kill the thing. I have always thought low profile tyres on anything other than a race car on a race track was loony.

Then there are the electrics and all that computerised madness and so with a half million in the bank for repairs perhaps it will still be partially reliable in 10 years.

I would swap it in an instant for the Queen's Phantom.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
I love my Phantom mate.
Drive one and then decide.....
I know mine is an oldie - far from this year's model, but i do say that it is an amazing car.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar old mate, did you get a scan tool with it ? Or are we going to hear your yelps of getting fleeced by the Dubai RR dealer when you have to go cap in hand to him with wads of loot to get him to use his scan tool on your new baby?

I would have to move to Dubai to own a late model Phantom because as I said my road here would croak a Phantom and probably quicker than a Soyuz rocket.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do mate. I have lots of different scan tools. And not all of them are perfect - but good enough to help me manage this leviathan. Vlad it s a very very big car indeed.
Good news is that its a BMW mate. That was the main driver behind me buying it. Parts are cheap for a 760 BM

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheap BMW parts? maybe some but not the alternators for example. Your Phantom has 2 alternators that are water cooled and are in water cooled housings. How much you ask? Ahh almost $2000 for the lower alt and over $1000 for the upper one...and the labor..ca ching.
Just sayin.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar my question is and I know that you will give a balanced thought out answer, Is it a Rolls Royce.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Thursday, 29 August, 2019 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Robert,
yes i agree there are some expensive parts but you will rarely need to replace these. How many times have you replaced the alternator on your Rolls-Royce so far? in my case never. I simply repair them.

Dear Richard,
yes Mate - it certainly has a Rolls-Royce feel to it. There is no denying that.

Omar

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, 29 August, 2019 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I respect your judgement and truly wish you happy motoring.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a question for the sparkies out there.
(sparkies are people who know electrons and wires - Mechies are people who know mechanical things).

This Mechie wants to buy a good diagnostic tool for the Phantom. Which is the one tool that can do everything on the 2008 Phantom?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This may help you!
https://abrites.com/en/products/vehicle-diagnostics/for-rolls-royce-online

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Patrick.
A difficult website to navigate I must say...

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2019 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a first world problem.....
The Phantom VIII is a lovely car but there is something about my car that I am starting to dislike.
The 4 Door Phantom would not have given me this problem had i bought the cheaper more practical version of the car that I now own.
Backwards opening door are a gimmick but in practice they are a complete bitch to live with. The doors are so fat that you need at least a 4 foot gap beside you to get in and out of the car. How often do you get a parking space that guarantees you a 4 foot gap near the driver's door? The best space would be a 6 foot gap and in those rare cases - entry and exit are both easy. In tight spaces there is no elegance to wiggling in or out of the car.
In summary - Do i like suicide doors? No I dont.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2019 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

You have fallen victim to a First World problem familiar to most owners of 2-door cars catering to more than 2 passengers. .

Rolls-Royce New Phantom owners are expected to have a driver or dedicated private parking facilities wherever they go with their vehicles.

I used to have similar problem but not to the same extent as you with the Corniche doors which are significantly wider than the Saloon doors.

Invariably I would have to stop in a suitable place to allow the passengers to get out before parking unless I could find an end of row space with a kerb which allowed the door to be fully opened.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2019 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear, on my car I use the iPhone to reverse or summon the car in or out of a tight parking spot after passengers and my self have exited before hand.
Could you clime out of the Phantom with the roof down and use the remote to power the hood up after!

David Gore

Post Number: 3514
Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2019 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I wish I had a Tesla like you but the ongoing impost of a Luxury Car tax on this and similarly priced cars together with our unfavourable currency exchange rates is a serious deterrent.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, 20 November, 2019 - 01:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Less technology when I was a student. Simply got out of the car, locked it, pushed it into the parking space and put a wedge against the wheel. Simple ! could get in a space with an inch either side.
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Wednesday, 20 November, 2019 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark one of my first vehicles never had an ignition key or a door locking system the engine was only 425cc but it was as light as feather and was able to get just under 40mph with 55 mpg.
Parking no problem lift and push.
Must go and visit the old girl, been in shed for years, may well be rusted out but will still have memories as do the Jowett's.

As for pushing, no way with the heavy Phantom or Tesla.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Wednesday, 20 November, 2019 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
Yes the Corniche doors are long. I have one of those too and although you need to adjust to their added length - it is possible to get used to it after a few weeks of ownership. The Phantom suicide doors are impossible to get used to. The thickness of the doors at the A Pillar cannot change. Such a shame really. The truth has already been spoken - the car was not designed to be used for daily use of an average person who has to park in general parking spaces like everybody else.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Thursday, 19 March, 2020 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For all those contemplating buying a Phantom here is the first thing I would do.

There is a pit under the windscreen wipers which houses the air filters for the air conditioning system. Also in that pit is the brake master cylinder and brake pump.

The pit has drains that should allow water to escape and not accumulate. My car had stagnant water in that pit which destroyed the brake pump and created a real mess.

I live in a desert and I had this trouble - how do the cars in wet countries cope? This check needs to be a regular one for all Phantom owners. To see the water you have to remove the two air-con filters first.

The car is so silent that you cant hear the water sloshing in the engine compartment.

David Gore

Post Number: 3633
Posted on Thursday, 19 March, 2020 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

The water build-up would probably have been associated with "crud" build-up from frequent car washing during its initial ownership most likely by hired help!!!!!

My best guess is the crud in the filter housing would be tree debris from the car being parked in their shade to keep the car interior cool until the climate control system could reach full effectiveness after the engine was started. I would expect the drains to be able to cope with a dirt slurry but not tree debris.

I have this problem with my venerable 4WD which is always parked outside under trees as SWMBO will not tolerate her car suffering this indignity!!!!

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Friday, 20 March, 2020 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are probably smack on the money there David.
The car had a DSC light come on and the mechanic was addressing other issues at the time when he came across this. Sadly he took care of it before i could see the full extent of the damage and how it came to be.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 51.9.244.70
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2021 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Old thread I know but re. scan tools the Foxwell NT530 with BMW software is supposed to cover the modern RR's. I use it on my little Z3's and quite impressed for GBP133.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2021 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Adrian.
I had to reset the service reminder on my Phantom using the super expensive computer I had to buy. The software is called Ista. I found Ista a bit too German and not all that easy to use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: