My Turbo's Front Passenger Seat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » My Turbo's Front Passenger Seat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good Morning All,

Not normally being comfortable with others piloting my Turbo, I did however succomb to the front passenger the other night after a rather lovely evening involving a fair amount of Hunter Valley red....
What I noticed in my inebraited state was a slight rocking or backwards and forwards motion of the front passenger seat. Firm it was, comfortable most certainly but as the car accelerated, there was a decernable movement as if the anchorage bolts were slightly loose. Clearly I waited till the next morning to investigate without my befuddled head. And yes when sitting in the front passengers seat there is some slight backwards and fowards movement as if the seat is a little loose in its rails. I removed the squab to be greeted with the most terrifing series of motors & gears & electrics etc etc for the seats and I stopped there. There was nothing loose in the chairs guiderails that I could see.
Gents has anyone encounted this problem before and any other ideas for me? I mean its no biggy, and in fact the movement is so slight its hardly decernable really, I thought it may have been in need of a few bolts tightened up.

Cheers as always

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, 17 May, 2010 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have the same problem on my Turbo RL. Waiting for replies to your post with baited breath

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Monday, 17 May, 2010 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen this a few times, and sure it must be annoying. If you remove the squab, you may do a quick check that all the motors and links are tight. Otherwise, the definitive correction may take hours of dismantling and tuning along with the risks of breakage.

There is another trick however, rather than dismantling the whole thing to tighten it up. Once the desired position has been selected, flick the fore-aft switch forward for ¼ second. That often seems to take up the backlash and leave the seat rigid. Repeat with the up/down switches for the front and rear squab axes if necessary.

RT.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As usual RT this has worked. Your term 'backlash' is exactly what I should have used, it describes the condition perfectly.
I checked the seat again and nothing seemed loose to me, I did however try your trick Richard of flicking the the seat switch a smidge and yes the 'backlash' has been 'taken up' no more slight rocking motion.

FYI, am heading to Ballarat on Monday coming to catch up with some friends I have not scene for a while. I will be taking the Turbo for a run and am really looking forward to it! Hope all goes as planned!!!

many thanks as always Richard

Cheers

J

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2010 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad it worked for you James.
In my case the problem is the driver's seat and that unfortunately has more wear than can be taken up by backlash adjustment alone.
I fear a seat assembly replacement is imminent or perhaps a repair

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2010 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar,

it was the front passenger seat for me, one I dont normally sit in but slightly cranking it up or down did do the trick. I have to tell you the sight of all the seat motors and wiring looms et al really scared the hell out of me. Its a lot more simply under the seat in my Rolls with one gearbox motor instead of the Bentleys 3 or 4.
Anyway I hope its not too much mucking around for you Omar.

Take care

J