Can't open the rear door. Help? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Can't open the rear door. Help? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2010 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

The rear right door is not opening no matter whether I try to open from inside or from outside.

I don't know what else to try but I have already taken out the center inside panel (where the door opener and window lift switch are) and have tried pulling both the lever going from the solenoid and the rod going from the release handle.
It's just not opening and because of that I can't take the whole panel off and access the lock.

Is there anything else I can do before I should start cutting?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2010 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Eugene,

Make sure that the outside button is 100& out. If it's stuck in even slightly, that can stop the catch unlocking.

Is the unlock button going up and down easily?

Early ones frequently stick on the catch due to no lubrication, although later ones with the single pin are not as prone to it. These need a sharp hit or a gentle kick from inside. One person holds the release, another hits.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2010 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eugene,
On my old Spur, I used to hit the top of the outer door handle (on the horizontal part) with a rubber mallet whenever that happened to me. It usually worked. On one occasion I had to resort to using the heel of my boot instead as I was away from home.
Good Luck
Omar

Chris Browne
New User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2010 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Eugene,
I had a similar problem on my 1979 Shadow 2 when I first bought it. I had closed the drivers door quite gently and it looked properly closed but the latch must only just have caught. I eventually tried leaning on the door, from the outside, and the latch clicked as it dropped fully into place. From then on, the door opened and closed as normal. I hope your problem is something trivial like this and not some derangement of the mechanism inside the door. Good luck.
Kind regards,
Chris Browne

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, 28 June, 2010 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all for your tips. It was very hot today and I had another go. I didn't use a hammer or a shoe but rather hit it with my palm and it opened. The little toddler lock was in the down position hence why I couldn't open from the inside.
The outside button still doesn't work but at least I can open the door from outside now.
I will spray all locks with WD40 but all of them will be rebuilt when I repaint the car.

Thanks again everyone!