Spur coil fuse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spur coil fuse « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 25 March, 2010 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am trying to help friends with SCAZN00A9JCH23812. The coil loses power intermittently and I cannot locate the 10 amp fuse (designated 30a on the diagram) protecting coil and amplifier.
The theoretical wiring diagrams in the 'Tech Library' seem to only contain pages 32-1, 32-17,32-18 and 32-23 (the sound system).
Am I missing something?
I see it shares power feed with the headlight flash relay and so will check if that loses power at the same time indicating a fault closer to the switchbox.
Any help is much appreciated.
Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, 25 March, 2010 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl,

There should be a diagram there for it.

If you wiggle the key, do you lose and gain power. The contacts in the switch wear and become intermittent. There are many sets of 'brushes' in there so you can lose 1 circuit but the rest will be fine (which can be misleading!).

(You will have to look at a Shadow parts listing, because I don't think the Spirit ones show a break down of the switch box)

Carl Heydon
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, You are right,I do have the the theoretical diagram, I have been spoilt by the SY practical diagrams.
I will wiggle and report (the car is 15k away).
I would have thought it was a bit young for switchbox issues as the odometer reads 98K and condition seems to agree but it is an import.
The fuse is not in the fuse box (or not marked as such) but is the next logical test point. I will keep hunting.
application/mswordcoil fuse
Coil and fuse.doc (178.7 k)

(Message edited by car on 26 March 2010)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it about a 1989?

try http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/tsd4701/7.pdf

too young? I guess it depends if it's done 98 1000 mile journeys or 9800 10 mile Journeys?

Carl Heydon
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,
Now I feel really dense. I had printed those diagrams and looked for the ‘coil’.
And I don’t know how I missed the fuse labelled ‘ignition’. I suppose if the computer and the car were a few miles closer together....
And yes it is 1989

Carl Heydon
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 15:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ureka, there was a break in the negative coil wire about 1cm from the spade connector. Though I don't know how previously the test light could go out on the positive terminal when it stopped. It stayed lit this time so I looked down stream and found the break. I am worried there is another gremlin waiting. I drove it 14k without a miss.
Thanks for the input Paul,
Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done! A weird one . . . but well found :-)