Which light should go out first? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Which light should go out first? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, 19 February, 2010 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

For those scholars amoungst us can someone tell me which Brake light should go out first? I have a conflict with my Spirit. I have heard that priority should always go to 'Brake 1' rather than 'Brake 2' which is the suspention. MY issues is 'Brake 2' goes out before 'Brake 1'. This might be nothing to worry about and again I might be being picky....
So its clear, I start car, both lights are on and about 20 seconds later Brake 2 goes out then say about 5-10 seconds after this Brake 1 goes out. I have done the old 'brake pedal test' and I get about 40 pumps till Brake 1 light comes on so I assume all is ok?

is this anything to worry about? see warning light pictures below

Also I just wanted to know with regards to brake resovouriors, is there such a thing as a gasket or seal for the lids... they get a bit weepy...

Cheers all

J

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, 19 February, 2010 - 18:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

They are totally independent apart from using the same camshaft. So they will do their own thing and go off in their own time.

No 2 usually goes off last because it has to fill the accumulators so brake 2 are working, then fill the gas springs on the suspension.

If the accumulators are completely shot, the lights will go out really quickly. If the accumulator valves are not holding pressure properly, the lights will take a long time to go out. . . . . and there's about 10 other scenarios which affect the time taken to go out!

How many pumps for the other system?

Yes gaskets were still available last time I ordered some. Have you nipped them up?

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, 22 February, 2010 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your note although it leaves me sratching my head now.... I think its not much more than 40 before Brake 2 comes on as well. So brake 1 flickers on at about 40 pumps and then brake 2 comes on maybe 5 pumps after this... i'll count it tonight.
The lights take about 30 seconds or thereabouts to go out... I have no idea if this is 'long or short'??? Incidentley its about the same time as my Bentley, although that has a 'Stop Brake' flashing lights.

Can you let me know how much for the gaskets via private email please Paul... yep tried nipping them up but they still weep and both the gaskets are split.

Cheers

J