A little update on the Bentley 8 rest... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » A little update on the Bentley 8 restoration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Diewerge
New User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 03 February, 2010 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well,I just wanted to send an update on some progress I made with my Bentley 8 restoration.
The rebuild transmission is installed. I couldn’t try it out as the rebuilt hydraulic system rebuild is not completed as of now and I can not start the engine.
During the rebuild, I installed a Transgo transmission kit.

shift

I know this shift-kit from other cars and can confirm that it will improve the longevity of the TH400 without adversely affecting the shift feel. Transgo developed a patented separator plate with an integrated bypass, the result is that the holding power in direct gear is virtually doubled because the direct clutch piston is pressurized from both sides. Highly recommendable!
New hardy-joint, new parking brake cables, new hydraulic hose, a pair of fresh valve cover gaskets and some brake hard lines have been installed.

floor1

I welded in a new hand formed floorboard but as the other picture will tell, there is some more welding to do .

floor2

floor3

floor4

floor5

The car is not very rusty other than in the very back, it appears as they forgot to put paint and/ or wax into these hollow places at the factory back when it was built.

I wonder if Crewe used some gunmetal grey metallic primer as part of their painting process? The boot is painted this colour on the sides underneath the carpet. This grey paint also appears on one door where a larger piece of the white top-coat has flaked of. The paint code on the metal plate also says white, but I guess that the plate could have been easily changed by a dealer who at one time had the car repainted?

Cheers

Sebastian

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, 07 February, 2010 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Sebastian,

Nice to see so much progress on your project.
I am surprised to see a lot of corrosion on a relatively young car that was used in Luxembourg.

Re. the original paint and primers - the build history will give a definite answer as to what was used at the factory including the colours.

P.S. Out of curiosity, you're registered as Daniel, do you have double names in Luxembourg?

Daniel Diewerge
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Eugene,

a lot of people in Luxembourg have two(or even more) christian names.
Well, the car is not very rusty in general, in fact it seems to have a very thorough rust proofing from the factory except in the cavities situated at the rear of the body (at least on my car). As far as I can reconstruct the history of this car, it spent most of its life in southern Germany where they have long winters and use loads of salt on the roads. But cars do also rust very happily here in Luxembourg if driven during the winter season because temperature often hovers around the freezing point which causes condensation in the hollow spaces of cars. After the repairs I will treat the whole underside and all the cavities of the car with a product called "Fluid-film". It's a tixotropic fluid that has wool fat as major ingredient and is the most effectiv rust stopper I've used to date. Plus it's environmentally safe. This product is mainly used to rust proof balast tanks on big sea-going vessels. Highly recommandable! Cheers Sebastian

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 - 00:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wool fat?
I wonder that is??

Daniel Diewerge
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.fluid-film.com/company.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, just another update after many month of bodywork done on week-ends. The car was taken down to bare metal and a lot of panels have been replaced with 1 mm sheet panel. I didn't buy a single repair panel, every piece was hand beaten and lead loaded. All the body work, primer application, filling and sanding was done in my own shop.The final colour coat was applied in a rented boot. If everything continues as planned the car should be ready in time to enjoy the spring season.

pic1

pic5

pic4

pic2

pic3

Jeff Young
Experienced User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like it's going to be cold driving around in that weather with no doors on....

Jeff.

(Lovely job, though.)