Turbo R Windscreen Wipers - no action... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R Windscreen Wipers - no action for sweep « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, 15 January, 2010 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

RT I suspect you may be able to help me on this, I have had an issue for a while now and as I don't drive my Turbo much in the rain I have not really worried about it but it does annoy me.

When I push the windscreen washer stalk in to wash and wipe the windscreen, the wipers dont wipe. The jets fire water fine to the screen and when the headlamps are on even the headlamp jets work but my issue is I then have to manually turn the windscreen wipers on to wipe the screen. What do you think this might be? relays?

I did have the exact same issue with the Rolls when I bought that years ago and I replaced all the relays for Wiper 1,2,3 and it solved it on the Rolls.

I note the Bentley looks to have the same arrangement of 'windscreen relays' under the electrics panel on the drivers side. Could this be it or is there something more I may not have considered?

Please note the windscreen wipers work fine when turned on intermittent, slow or fast, its just the wash sweep; they dont activate from the columm stalk???

Cheers

J

(Message edited by david_gore on 15 January 2010)

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2010 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would also be very intersted in the answer. I have exactly the same problem on my '89 Spur.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Thursday, 21 January, 2010 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recalling that yours is a 1989 model Turbo RL - best remind us of the chassis number and year each time - see the information on:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/30000/electrical/16.pdf

You will see that the washer switch (23) feeds straight into the windscreen wiper ECU (1). There are no relays in between.

Question. Does the headlamp wash function work (headlamps must be turned on first) ? If so, your switch is connected to the ECU, so chances are that the ECU is faulty in the windscreen sweep function.

Otherwise, the wiring is very simple. With even just a test lamp probe and a test lead, you will be able to test it all out. By grounding the black wire at the ECU, you will be able to find immediately whether the ECU is definitely working properly.

The secion on the 1987-1988 MY cars (20k-28k chassis) is perhaps more descriptive at:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/tsd4701/tsd4701.htm

The only difference between the 20k and the 30k cars in this regard is that the 30k cars have that darned headlamp ECU.

RHT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Thursday, 21 January, 2010 - 11:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I should have written that connecting the Light Green wire with a Black stripe (LGB) at the ECU to the chassis may operate the windscreen washers and wiper sweep function.

I am unsure as to when the headlamp ECU was introduced: maybe for 1988, 1989 or for the 1990 30k cars. Certain parts changed at chassis 21133, 23936 and 30000. It should not affect this function, rather only the headlamp washers I expect. In your case, troubleshooting may be guided by either version.

Incidentally, in the 30k diagramme at

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/30000/electrical/16.pdf

item 24 is named the windscreen washer motor. I expect that, being controlled by the headlamp ECU, it is actually the headlamp washer motor. This is just a curiosity.

RHT.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2010 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard,

Yep the headlamp jets work fine when ligths are on and you press the 'wash' stalk. IN the case of the wiper ECU was or is faulty not much I can do I suppose but replace it. I'll swap some relays as something to do but I am going to guess you are probably on the money RT. Interesting that the exact same issue was happening in the Spirit and that 'came good' after I renewed relays...
I assumed that because both cars sat idle and probably hadn't been driven for years in the rain the system just needed to be used
was kinda hoping it would 'come good' in the Bentley.
By clicking on my name I have added chassis numbers there under my membership details.

thanks

J

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, 06 February, 2010 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update,

RT as usual you were spot on. No amount of 'relay swapping' or renewing would restore wash wipe for me. I ordered a new ECU from UK, quite reasonable actually, $100 Aus, an hey presto all works... thanks again for your advice.

Lawrence, Flying Spares sent me one last week. As your car would have the same ECU I suspect this is the only remedy for you too.

Cheers

J