Turbo R 20,000-Series, Non-Cat Exhaus... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R 20,000-Series, Non-Cat Exhaust System « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Wednesday, 30 December, 2009 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a certain Canberra member pointed out some weeks ago, I found that I had a slight exhaust leak around the seam of my Turbo R front exhaust silencer, a dual-pipe affair identical to the one immediately behind it. Looking closely, I found split in the stainless steel at the front of the silencer unit. On closer inspection, the other showed signs of a split developing too. These cars have exhaust systems made exclusively from stainless, and never corrode away, but are susceptible to splits over time.

I could have had it simply seamed up with stainless steel MIG, but my friendly exhaust shop in Surry Hills near the city pointed out that the lagging inside was original, and at its age was probably not in great shape. That tallied with that far-away burble and pop when I backed off at speed or held second gear down a steep grade. Given that the car is clocking up quite some thousands of kilometres monthly now, I don’t want avoidable or repeated troubles either.

He offered two replica silencers ex-stock, and of a superior quality to the originals, and suggested I replace the complete system from the olive in front of the first silencer right up to the rear silencer beneath the rear arch. It made sense, as it never pays to throw good money after bad, nor to skimp on the last little bit. That was at midday, and at 3pm I picked up the car with the system renewed exactly to pattern. I cannot fault the job, a perfect replica, and at just $1,500 I can hardly complain. It has a 30 year warranty.

I had the same outfit make up an entire stainless steel replica dual exhaust system for my 1954 R-Type in 1986. That job was superb too, faultless to this day, so if anyone needs work done on a Crewe exhaust system I can pass on the details.

This shop has done many jobs on Crewe cars over the years, and the owner captured my heart when he told me to buy a Continental R as he, a Ferrari guy, considers the Continental R to be the most beautiful and timeless motor car ever built. I could not agree more.

RHT.