Speedometer wire not connected Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Speedometer wire not connected « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DaveH
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.73.174
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2004 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just bought a Silver Spirit and the speedometer has a wire which is not connected. It's a 12V Jaeger RR km/h unit ( label on back has 338287018 12V UD70695 ). Top bulb is connected red/white, as is the bottom. Left ind is Green/Yellow right is Green/Purple. Crescent is from top double connector -
marking '+', single and double white
marking '2', double black
marking 'A', Red/Green
marking '-', empty
but there is a free floating Green/Black.

Q1. Should I connect G/Bl to '-' ?
Q2. I have no owner handbook or workshop manual and would like to purchase both.... any ideas as to from where I may purchase these?

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2004 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave;

For Workshop Manual try Larry his email is tbird@consultant.com

Regards,
Bill

DaveH
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.178.213
Posted on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the contact Bill. I sent off an email, but have yet to hear back.
I tried to respond to say thanks a couple of days after your post, but I had to create 20+ words of 4 or more letters, and all I wanted to say was thanks!
Ok, I have managed to get a look at a diagram which answers my question, and raises more.
It shouldn't be connected.
Q1. The diag has the sender illustrated as an induction coil connected to a transistor base, and there is a connection from that wire to a circle on the wire which connects to the collector which goes to earth. Anyone know what that circle is meant to be? It isn't a junction.
Q2 The earth is connected though another circle with a 'D' in it - what is that? Is it perhaps a calibrating resistance???
Q3 Does anyone know if the speedo is working on counting pulses from the sender in a time period, or is it using the current variation resulting from a longer 'on-time' due to inceased pulses/sec.

Yes, I have a speedo problem! :-) But the interesting thing is that the odometer is measuring correctly from the same source.

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave;

Manuals are also on eBay, if you do not hear from Larry.

Regards,
Bill

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Saturday, 20 March, 2004 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dave (and others who may have tried to email me),

I may not have gotten your email, as I've recieved nothing from a "Dave". What email address did you send it from? If for some reason my tbird@consultant.com email address is not recieving all its intended emails, I can be reached at halpert@optonline.net

Dave H
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.50.73.79
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2004 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,
Originally I sent it to tbird, I have since sent one to halpert.
I have an interest in w/shop manuals covering an '86 Silver Spirit, and maybe owners manuals.

Dave H

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have the 80-89 Illustrated Parts Catalog that covers your year, and includes parts location & exploded diagrams along with all part numbers. The workshop manual set is would be the TSD-4400, which has not been placed on CD yet and is only available as hardcopy. When I get a set, and am able to scan it to CD, I will add it to my list. I probably answered your email not realizing it was you as I don't know from this forum what your email address is.

Thanks again,

Larry