Alarm light at 220Km/h Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Alarm light at 220Km/h « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2009 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

Sunday I noticed something strange in my Continental R (#52020). While driving in Germany at an indicated 220Km/h the diode of the alarm (on the dashtop) started lighting intermittently, with increasing pace till, when at an indicated 230-240 Km/h (GPS indicated 228Km/h) the diode is is almost lighting steady.

I was surprised and backed off a little, till it stopped around 210 Km/h. Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on? Is the car trying to tell me something?

Otherwise no alarms what so ever.

Thank you as usual.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, 23 December, 2009 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello again,

No answers, so either my question is silly, either the answer is too obvious or either no body knows the answer.

But let me re-formulate it: Has anybody encountered the problem and knows how to switch this "speed alarm" off, at night its really annoying and driving now regularly across Germany, 220 is quite normal.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, 24 December, 2009 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis,
I am jealous that you can drive at that speed regularly. I have no idea what it might be, but I would love to have the problem, as it would mean that I have a Continental and can drive it fast. Good luck to you buddy.
Omar

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Thursday, 24 December, 2009 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The lamp is genericall indicating a fault, and you may need to find what type of fault it is. It could be anything from an airbag to the automatic ride control system, or of course transmission or engine management. Your guess is as good as anyone's without the test kit or blink codes. Maybe the Lambda sensor is playing up or the open-loop mixture is way out for example. You will need to inspect the stored fault codes using Mastercheck to identify the fault.

Alternatively, you may inspect the diagnostic blink codes (I believe that you can do that on SCBZB03C8RCX52020 - 1994MY Continental R). Let us know if you need the blink code tables.

RHT.

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 24 December, 2009 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, since you mentioned Mastercheck I thought I would jump in and ask a question since it's inline with the original topic.
I have heard about this diagnostic system but have not managed to find any details on the web.
What do I need to have for this system to work? Is it a special computer with software or is this just a software that can be installed on any PC plus the cable?
Since when did R-R introduce this system? (I am not sure if my car has this interface)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 507
Posted on Thursday, 24 December, 2009 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

llu�s,

I suspect nobody has come across this before! I haven;t come across it before - unfortunately, but not unsurprisingly! :-)

When you say the alarm LED is flashing intermittently, is it random, or at a constant rate at a constant speed?

I've never seen the dash LED flash for any other reason than alarm functions.

I'm wondering if the over-speed warning is set as active on the Drivers Information Panel.

As far as I know just Middle East countries have them set as active when new. This could have been changed at some point though.

Once again, from memory, I think the Middle east warning is at a much lower speed? Perhaps Omar will have heard / seen one go off in a car out there and can let us know if the dash LED lights as well, and what other indication it gives. I think it will have to have been on a 92 on / similar aged car.

I've talked many owners of Middle East cars through the process of deleting the overspeed alarm, so maybe everybody out there has them turned off now?? :-)

I would also think that the overspeed alarm could in theory be set to a different speed with the R-R / Bentley diagnostics unit.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, 25 December, 2009 - 03:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,
you are right about this nuisance alarm that is set at 120 Km/h for all cars sold in the Arabian Gulf. We have mostly all deleted them form our newer cars. The older cars never had them fitted as they were not a legal requirement then. In fact you helped me delete my alram many years ago on the phone.
The alarm can be set at any speed - so you could be right about someone inadvertently setting it at 220 for Lluis' car thinking "no one really drives at that speed".
The alarm is an audible one though - not a light in the cars that I have had experience with.
Merry Chtristmas to you all.
Omar

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, 26 December, 2009 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the replies.

It's not random; it starts at around 200-210 Km/h and it's a contiuous frequence about 5-10 blinks per second. Its pace increases with increasing speed according to my wife.

I never managed to get the blink codes, following the service manual instructions. How do you do it?

I did think that it could be an alarm, but why would it be set at that speed?

Please, be not be jealous about the speed ;-), this car is sooooo stable that the only thing that appears to go faster at 200 and higher is the landscape (and the bloody Dutch cars that pull out of the right lane, thinking that because I have a Dutch plate I am also driving slowly).

And of course merry Christmas day to you all...

Ll.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Saturday, 26 December, 2009 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis,

There is a chance that you may find the blink codes as on the slightly earlier cars: open fuse panel, turn on ignition, press button etc. See http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/b9.pdf

The last pages are good quality A3.

You may also reset the system to German spec for example to eliminate speed limit warnings. First, best is to clear the blink codes if possible. Otherwise, a Bosch bloke may be able to plug in and see, but why not just see the dealer for a 15 minute diagnostic if possible ?.

RHT.

ps did you receive my PM and download ?

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, 29 December, 2009 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard and all others,

Thank you for the replies. indeed there are two alarms that I ignored (not purposefully).

I have since a couple of weeks the brake pad low alarm, that only lights upon switching the ignition off, and that I misunderstood as the handbrake on warning.

The second is a check gearbox alarm that appears very occasionally, but bizarrely all functions of the gearbox appear to work.

And yes, the car is going for its year inspection to Brabocars, and I will ask them to plug it in. As for the brake pads, I will order them today and change them over the week end.

Richard, I have not received any PM from you recently, but I'm afraid that I have the first seried "plastic cover" engine with the air-to-air intercooler and Bosch injection (pre-zytec), I have tried to get the blink codes according to the workshop manual but it just does not work, I think I follow everything correctly (acc on, five steps on the accelerator pedal, etc...).

Thanks