Rear ram extended to the max. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear ram extended to the max. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sebastian Biwer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.35.81.152
Posted on Thursday, 19 November, 2009 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, after fiddling around with a friend’s 1991 Bentley Continental (including writing one post to this wonderful and helpful forum), I have finally bought my own Bentley. It’s a 1985 Bentley Eight (LHD), that will need a lot of work. At present time, the transmission is spread over my workbench as I am rebuilding it. The forward clutches burned up due to a blown seal in the forward clutch.
I already replaced the hydraulic pumps O-rings, cut out a rusty drivers side floorboard, flushed the cooling system, took out the windscreen (cracked) and so on….
One problem that bothers me is the right rear ram that extended to full length after I filled the empty LHM reservoir and ran the engine. The left side behaves normally.
To get it back down, I had to bleed the system at the bleeder in front of the rear tyre. The fluid that squirted out was clean and of a nice green color though. The suspension was rock hard when pumped up (normal) and supple when I had “bled it” to normal driving height, so I think the ram is working normally.

Has anybody ever experienced a similar problem? Will I be into disassembly of all the little suspension valves? In any case, I will have to replace some of the hydraulic hard lines. Did RR utilize a normal automotive (double) flare? Or do I need a flaring tool for Citroens type flares as I have read in several places.

Thank you and happy motoring from Luxembourg!

Sebastian

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, 20 November, 2009 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations Sebastian,

Did you try undoing the HCV linkage and pulling and holding the linkage down?

Maybe it's an adjustment problem, or the valve had stuck due to lack of use.

The valves change fluid direction very slowly, so if you push the arm up, you will need to wait a minute for the car to go up, and visa versa.

The valves are usually quite reliable but do very occasionally leak. Perhaps some use will get the valve operating correctly.

Other than the height control valves and accumulator valves, I think the flares are normal on your car.

Enjoy.

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2009 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Sebastian,
Very interesting project! Keep posting the updates on the progress if you can.

Daniel Diewerge
Yet to post message
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2009 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you a lot for your kind answers. Eugene, when I read your story, I see a strong resemblance in the scope of our projects :-). I have finished the transmission rebuild and will install it this week-end. Next step will be welding in new sheet metal to the drivers side floorboard. I have attached a few pictures for you to see that I still have some work on my list...Sebastian

eight1

Eight2

Eight3

Eight4

Eight5

(Message edited by david_gore on 10 December 2009)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2009 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel,

if you add a couple of blank lines between adding photos, they are easier to view.

A long but rewarding job ahead!

Good Luck :-)

Eugene Oleinik
Experienced User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2009 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Sebastian,
I bet that tired seat used to be on the drivers side. Are you planning on getting a new trim or will you do the colourwash?

What else have you got on your list?
I hope you can get it on the road soon!

Daniel Diewerge
New User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2009 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Eugene, well the good looking one is the drivers side seat after same "colourlok" treatment and it looked worse than the passenger seat before. The rest of the interior doesn't need any treatment apart from cleaning/ nourishing with hide food. Next step will be the installation of the transmission. Then I will spend the next few week-ends with my welder. Nothing very involved but still...The engine runs extremely smooth, that's about the only positive thing on this car. I will repaint the car doing a "quick and dirty" job in brewster green. The bare metal job has to wait until next winter and will be done if the car proves to be reliable. I will have to replace a few hydraulic lines as well. Something that bothers me is the high price of the LHM return hoses. Even the most expensive industrial hoses cost much less. I will do some "scientific tests" with generic high quality hose suited for mineral oil and install these if they survive. Anyway, I will keep you all informed about my progress and I am sure that I will have a few question to ask this forum in the meantime.

Cheers Sebastian

Eight6

(Message edited by david_gore on 11 December 2009)