Gearbox filter movement related to sp... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Gearbox filter movement related to spacer/bolt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

In the middle of changing my gearbox filter and need a question answered. Surprised me how clean the 21 year old gerbox was, almost looked like it was put together yeaterday.

There is a single bolt that holds the filter in place with a spacer behind it. Ie the bolt goes through the filter hole and the spacer is between the filter and the gearbox. This spacer seems very very short (or the bolt is too long), to the point the filter wobbles around a lot. IE maybe 20mm up and down. Seems to me if the filter is not held in place a little better that the end where the tube goes in could quite easily wobble loose.

Especially noted, can see wear marks on the bottom of the pan at the rear end of the gearbox where the filter was rubbing. Doesnt seem right. Someone has done somthing in the past evident from gasket goop on the pan, and wondering if they but the wrong bolt in.

Seems to me if this is wrong and there is that much movement then the mating end where the Oring goes into the gearbox would quite feasibly not work effectively.

Filter low, as it will currently sit in the gearbox

Filter low position

Filter pushed up where is seems to logically make sense(to be square to the bottom of the gearbox)

high position

Is the filter supposed to be a firmly mounted or is supposed to move this much?

Going to finish cleaning the old gasket off, hopefully someone has changed these in the past.

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

The other thing is, where the tube connects in the gearbox is not a million miles from where the noise I keep getting at a certain rev range in the ongoing saga (Bentlye Power annoyance). If the Oring wasnt sealing properly becasue the filter wasnt held in place properly, the oil pump in the gearbox could be sucking in air.

Might be a stretch but there isnt much stuff in the vicinity to produce such a noise otherwise.

Hopefully someone can tell me. Easy fix, just get a shorter bolt.

Cheers
Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Not quite a Bentley but a 400 none the less. Couple of sites suggest the same thing so this slop appers to be normal.

http://70.86.163.37/showthread.php?t=91966

My tube was loose like this bloke. Heres hoping.

Answered my own question, car sitting in the driveway going nowhere is good incentive.

Stefan

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

To put your mind at ease, 'slop' is correct.

A loose o'ring can cause it to suck air and make noises after being sitting for a while.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Thanks, all fitted and back together. Still have the noise in my air ducting but at least another little issue solved.

Cheers
Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan, it sounds as if you almost fell into the pit which destroys GM transmissions. It's practically the only way to destroy these incredible transmissions. The matter has been covered on this Forum several times. In Australia, THM400/3L80s and the similar 350s are so common that every shop knows about the filter setup here. The filter rests on the sump floor to do its job, and the guide bolt has its shape to allow the filter to find its own depth. So many people screw the filter firm to the valve body in ignorance and hash the poor thing up. It's all in the book, and in the Technical Library.

RHT.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard and Paul,

Better to ask in ignorance than suffer the consequences.

It didn't quite make sense, the bolt and spacer looked like it should have been there. Maybe because it was supposed to be :-) Tried to do a search on the forum but couldn't find anything. Guess you have to know the right question to ask to get the search to find something useful..

All is well. Car running again. Didn't fix my other issue though.

I was amazed at how clean the pan and box was. And putting the magnets in to collect garbage. Should be more of it.

Cheers
Stefan

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I want to service my gearbox with an oil and filter change ,but have a couple of questions.
1) looking at filters on internet some seem to have nothing showing through the oval hole some have white and some yellow looking filter,(see pics) what should be there?
2) how many "O" rings do I need and where do they go? (yes I know thats 2 questions but hey)
Thanks
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dip stick.

Pick up tube.

I'd go for the bottom one.

However I think the 'white' one is a black and white photo.

Also is your gear selector shaft nice and dry?

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul
I have no drips under the car so I presume it's dry , why?.
You would pick the most expensive one lol
Cheers
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good that you have no drips. :-)

How much is it?

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul
£41 for the "yellow" one £15 for the Fram "white" one (inc gasket),( £15 for the "empty" one which I have dismissed).
Cheers
Mike

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, 07 September, 2018 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Need you help!
I changed my oil and filter yesterday and thought (as stated in the useless RRB manual) that this was a stepped bolt but its a sleeve on the bolt, I may have trapped the filter hole between head and sleeve , (a)is this possible? (b)would I get the sump on , (c)will it do any damage?
I need to use the car tomorrow!!
Thanks in advance
Mike

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Sunday, 09 September, 2018 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

,, as stated in the useless RRB manual ,, Useless ??

When all else fails, read the instructions. If the fastener is incorrect, why not buy the correct one.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, 10 September, 2018 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good to see your post Richard.
Regards, Nigel.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, 11 September, 2018 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, its the original fitting, its the manual that's wrong OK
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: