Temp Gauge Needle Position for Turbo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Temp Gauge Needle Position for Turbo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Morning All,

I think this has been covered before but I will ask again as I cannot remmeber the answer.
My temp gauge for the Turbo sits, when up to normal running temperature at about a 1/3 or so on the gauge. Please see picture, sorry it may only just be visible in this shot. It does not seem to matter what the ambient weather is doing, the needle rises from dead cold and holds the position consistantly. ( like a normal 'modern' car). Frankly this is a good thing I suppose. The other day when we had fairly hot afternoon about 33C, I was sitting in Stop/Start traffic, in the Turbo, and did hear my cooling fans whirring away to themselves. But again the needle was rock steady.
On my Spirit it is different, the needle normally sits at about 4pm, but will if running fast down a freeway rise to 3pm. In stop start traffic on HOT days it will climb to just above 3pm and then I hear the cooling fan come on. Once on the move though it quickly drops down to the 4pm mark.
My question I suppose is why is the Rollers gauge so animated when the Bentleys isn't?

BTW, neither have ever overheated or come close, I am just wondering why there would be a difference if anyone knows. I am assuming the Bentley being a 20,000 series car has a 'better' cooling system but thoughts on this people?

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

My TurboR sits about 1/3 most of the time irrespective of the load of the engine. Very hot days going up a hill it might go up a bit, always considerably less than half.

Stefan

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Same thing for me.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2009 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By my standardards, yours are both running hot if the gauges are correct (over the years I have had new thermostats every 5 years, new senders etc, also a check on another Turbo R tonight showed the same usw).

Remember, the cooling capacity on these cars is seriously too great by a huge margin, as on all postwar Crewe cars. The thermostat is King. 20K better than the rest ? Maybe, but none of our cars are lacking cooling capacity.

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

good point re gauges RT.

I have replaced the thermostat in the Spirit as a precaution a year or so ago. Have not replaced the one in the Turbo yet.

However you say our Turbo's are running too hot? the gauge is only a 1/3 the way into its range and never really moves at all on mine....

The turbo is not in need yet of a new thermostat for a while. I have had the system reversed flushed 3 times in the last 2 months as i needed to get a new top tank for the rad ( it decided to start leak just for fun ). While this was being done I had the water pump done re seals and new shaft. All seems cool both literally and figeratively....
I was wondering why the rollers temp gauge seems to move more than the bentleys. Perhapes yes indeed its a better system on the 20K cars.

J

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Are you suggesting our gauges are moving too much? Are they supposed to be rock steady?

I have flushed my rad a while ago, but havnt changed the thermostat. Maybe its time I did.

Thanks
Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

Are you suggesting our gauges are moving too much? Are they supposed to be rock steady?

Mine never budges, only moving up maybe 1/16 in an extreme (for example Clyde mountain, 120km/h on a 37C day). The rocksteadiness is so pronounced that last night we put a blanking plate onto the thermostat housing on a friend's Turbo R to check it out during a routine system flush. Yes, the gauge went to 3/4 before we stopped it. The gauge seems quite accurate. That car, like mine - both 20k cars - never budges either.

Mind you, the calibration is another issue and may reasonably vary from car to car. I would prefer that the gauge settle within the mid-range and not right at the very lower end. It always makes me worry that the thermostat may fail without easily noticing it, and of course a thermostat failed in the open position does the most and silent damage. A motor running cold all the time is a disaster.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Dont think its running cold but maybe regulation could be better. Will have a go at the thermostat as a matter of course.

James,

Apologies, I hijacked your question a bit, the difference between your Turbo R and the Spirit.

Stefan

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 11:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

no apologies necessary Stef,

Its a good thread. Yes, running too cold can be an issue, although I doubt that on mine, you lift the bonnet after a good run and its pretty toasty under there.... however again my needle just does not seem to budge from its 1/3rd postion. In saying this though it must be registering a rise in temps sometimes as my cooling fans are not always running, they only seem to come on when its pretty hot outside and you are trawling along in stop start traffic. I have never heard them come on in winter.

Yes that's the question Stef, why is there a difference in the readingd between turbo and Spirit. Anyone know?

J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2009 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

Your cooling fans work on radiator temperature ( ie coolant temperature after the thermostat, not the engine temperature which is always much higher) OR refrigerant pressure. They practically never are called on by temperature; 99% of the time they come on with the refrigerant pressure assuming that the system is properly charged. If the refrigerant charge is low, then the electric fans virtually never kick in.