Wipers Only Stop When Engine Switched... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wipers Only Stop When Engine Switched Off - Why? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Frequent User
Username: omar

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1990 Turbo RL has a wiper issue which I am sure one of you gurus out there knows the fix for. The wipers work fine, but when the washers are activated, the wiprers carry on running regardless of wiper switch position. They will not switch off or park until the ignition is switched off. Then they stop working until asked for again. It all works well until you ask for water. Then there is no stopping them. I looked at the park switch on the firewall and that is correctly set up. Any ideas? We are expecting 5 drops of rain in December and I would like to be prepared for all 5 of them.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, Have you tried pressing the screen wash again to stop them?

Omar M. Shams
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Paul I have.They just keep running. Nothing seems to stop them other than switching the ignition off alltogether.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On a 1990 one very quick press should bring them on, one very quick press should turn them off. By quick, I mean 1/4 second ish. Much less shorter than the time it takes to make the washer pump work.

There may be a problem with the ecu if it just stays on.

Do the wipers try to turn off? As in do a reverse sweep?

Does it only happen when you use the wash wipe? Does it turn off OK when the wipers are used and then turned off?

Omar M. Shams
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2009 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,
All aspects of wiper operation are normal apart form the washer system. When water is asked for, it appears on the screen for as long as you press the switch for. Then when you take your finger off, the water stops but the wipers carry on ad-infinitum. I liked your trick of blipping the switch again - this had the desired effect of stopping the wipers without having to switch the car off. I will accept this quirk in the land of virtually no rain. Thanks for the tip.