Removing minor scratches from Chrome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Removing minor scratches from Chrome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Morley
Frequent User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

The Chrome parts on my car are in pretty good condition but there are a number of scuffs on the bumpers detract. Tried in the past with patent lotions and potions and never really came up with a solution that was satisfactory.

Things that are abrasive destroy the surrounding mirror finish. Yet to get the scuffs out you need an abrasive.

Anyone got any tricks. The marks are very shallow, scuffs more than scratches.

Thanks
Stefan

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stef,

Maguiers make a stainless steel and chrome polish that I use and have done for many years on the grill, exhaust extentions and chrome strips. It is very gentle and removes light swirls and any discolouration that occurs over time. The handbook mentions NEVER to use abrasive creams or metal polishes but I have not had any issues with this Maguiars product.
Worth a shot Stef. I even do the Spirit of ecstatsy with it....

J

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too have used the Meguiars product that James mentions, although for items such as the grille, I have continued to use Simichrome. Interestingly, Simichrome also works wonders on dulled black plastic and Bakelite pieces (turn signal and gear range selector knobs, etc), bringing them back to their original glossy black finish.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From what you describe, to polish the chrome you probably need a cotton polishing mop and and polishing soap.

Have a look on ebay for metal polishing kits to get an idea of what I mean.

Stefan Morley
Frequent User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, 26 September, 2009 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Been away for a couple of days. Thanks for the feedback.

Meguiars is available in Oz, Simichrome doesnt appear to be. Not sure a traditional polish will quite do what I need. Worth a try. Interesting Simichrome has a number of positive write ups for bakealite and plastics in general.

Havnt done anything with the scuffs as yet, past experince has told me to leave it alone.

Might have a look at the buffing compunds/kits Paul describes as well. Got an old chrome bumper from a VW to try it out on.

Cheers
Stefan

PETER HYLAND
New User
Username: peter_hyland

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 02 December, 2012 - 22:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use "Gumption" - a general purpose non-abasive cream household cleaner - available at S'markets. It gets rid of all the little blemishes/ swirls in chrome - it's also great on white-wall tyres ! (I bought it originally to clean my up-market S/S saucepan set!!!)..

E.D.CARTY
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.23.114.215
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2012 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all ,Crushed Cheery stones ,ground up very finely and rubbed on the brightwork with a soft cloth and with a circular motion was used here in the UK many years ago but beware .carefully does it}}

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2012 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Staefan, I buy my Simichrome from the USA via ebay - with postage it's about AU$13 a tube. It does a good job but there are others just as good at your local Autobarn etc.

A warning about polishing bakelite though. Simichrome is used to TEST bakelite not to polish it unless you're unbelievably careful.

Most Bakelite (essentially cellulose + formaldehyde) has a thin layer of finer cellulose material on the surface which if rubbed through will expose the coarser material beneath - basically sawdust.

Simichrome tends to leave black bakelite brown. Stick to Novus 1,2,3 for Bakelite and even then start with the gentlest first.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2012 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't know if it's available there, but I like Maas metal polish. This works as well or better than Simichrome (which I also like quite a bit). It appears that they have an entire automotive polish line. What I have used personally is the metal polishing cream. It works well on chrome, but it appears they suggest their liquid formula as the first choice for chrome.

Brian

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2012 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan

Qury: just how bad are the scuffs? If trivial I would agree in part with Paul's suggestion to use a cotton polishing mop and polishing soap BUT you really do need to try this out on somethimg scrap Personally, I'd favour Jewellers Rouge for a final finish - only problem with this is that it will colour and leave a red residue in deep marks.

Have a look at:

http://www.quicktest.co.uk/polishing.htm

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2012 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back to basics time - bright chrome plating usually has a thickness of 0.3/0.8 microns plus the thickness of underlying Nickel and possibly Copper layers which are applied before the final Chromium top coat. Any polishing sufficiently harsh to remove scuffs and/or gouging is likely to remove the decorative plate and expose the Nickel substrate which has a different colour to the characteristic bluish tint of the chromium plate. This may result in the damage becoming more evident than if it had been left undisturbed.

If you are not prepared to accept the "patina of age" commensurate with the use of the vehicle, the best long-term solution to swirls, chips, scuffs, gouges and underlying corrosion is to electrochemically strip the plating, repolish the parent metal and replate the item.

If you can find an electroplater who can "tri-plate" the item with Copper, Nickel and bright Chromium, do not let them out of your sight but make sure your wallet is well-stocked as the cost will be high due to the manual polishing required between each plate to give a mirror finish and the cost of disposing of the residual plating electrolytes due to their heavy metal content.