Vehicle Registration in the Australia... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Vehicle Registration in the Australian Capital Territory « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2009 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It may be of interest that today I presented my Turbo R for the Roadworthiness Test in the Australian Capital Territory at Challis St, Dickson, Canberra. The test was not unlike the past Swiss tests that the beast has endured yearly. The only three differences were that there was no ABS test, no test drive around a test loop at 100km/h, and no test of the damping on an electronic bump machine. Interestingly, I was asked whether the brake servo worked without the rear wheels turning. The fellow remembers my R-Type it seems.

There were no issues needing rectification whatsoever, and I may drive the car without number plates until I receive the compliance exception plate from Victoria next week. Until then, I may run all the red lights and speed traps with anonymity.

RHT.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 905
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2009 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Until then, I may run all the red lights and speed traps with anonymity

Richard - wouldn't an unplated Bentley be easily found on the vehicle database by searching owners by manufacturer? They can already do this with the number plate recognition cameras used to catch unregistered vehicles with plates attached.

Welcome home - please let me know if you are coming through the Mid-North Coast in the future so we can catch up.

Kind regards
David

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2009 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ahh Richard,

Yes welcome back to the best country in the world!
I know that your tongue is planted in your cheek re 'driving with anonimity' but do be aware there are speed traps and radar trap EVERYWHERE now, quite unlike Europe, one cannot simply blast up the freeway anymore..... its the one thing I covert and love abotu Europe and wish we were not so 'nannied' re our road regs.

As a matter of interest, how long did it take to get your Turbo back here?

Kind regards

J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2009 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

The speed traps here now in Oz are such a rarity compared to those in Europe. The fines here are also laughably small. Demerit points are similar, but overall the motorist here is treated very lightly unless drunk.

My car took 42 days to ship, including the transport from Zurich to Antwerp, customs in Antwerp and Port Botany, and transfer to Canberra, but it had to wait for my tardy release from Gefängnis Schweiz to recomission it. It's really nice to fang around in it again.

RHT.

Peter Colwell
Frequent User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 16 September, 2009 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speed camera pictures in Norway must be able to clearly identify the driver, which seems fairer than our system of booking the car's owner, regardless. I bet one Judge here, - now repenting at Her Maj's pleasure, - would have been happy with that system.

Also, radar-caught speedsters are deported to Sweden, - just down the road, - but locals are very heavily fined.

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard said "Until then, I may run all the red lights and speed traps with anonymity."

Richard, I always thought you were a 'buck lout'.

Welcome back.