1990 Turbo RL Boost Settings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1990 Turbo RL Boost Settings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2009 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not had my turbo RL long and I am just getting to know the car properly. I am not sure if the turbo boost pressure is what it should be. Frankly I was expecting the car to rip my arms off under full acceleration, but it does not seem to do that. How can I check if the turbo boost pressure is what it should be? I have checked all the intake system for leaks and none exists.
Thanks

Stefan Morley
New User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2009 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar

Simple way to check is find the Air Pressure transducer. There should be a 3 way plug on it. Peel back the boot but leave it plugged in, turn the ignition to on (ie car not running) measure the voltage (center pin and chassis). This is what the pressure transducer interprets atmospheric pressure as. Turn you car on. Voltage will probably drop to something in the order of 0.7V. This is the vacuum at the manifold whilst idling. Increase the RPM and the voltage should rise after the dump valve is closed, assuming all is well, towards atmosphere (somewhere around 2 volts) and should keep increasing till the boost controller open the wastegate. Eventually the fuel computer will decide your RPM are two high from the RPM sensor (which I think comes from the ignition) and drop the fuel delivery to limit the engine speed.

Least thats the way I interpret it from the manuals and playing.

I had a problem where my dump valve was not working right due to the vacuuum switch that controls a solanoid to open and close the dump valve. Everything else checked out right but all for nill if the boost pressure is being bypassed.

Also if your not sure about the turbo spinning up. Clean the area.... Take the short tube connecting the air filter to the turbo off. You'll be able to see the turbine spinning. Not that it tells you much other than the turbine isnt siezed.

Stefan

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2009 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,
Many thanks for your guidance.
As soon as the car is back from the garage I will try your suggestions and report back.
thanks