Fog lights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Fog lights « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear list,

My US spec 1994 Continental R has non operative rear fog lights, I know these are disabled in US spec cars, so I cheked why and I found that there were no fog light bulbs in the rear light clusters.

Eureka, I thought, just found some 21 Watt lights and screwed them in place, but no way: these lights are always on when I switch on the light switch, and I want them tooperate only with the fog light switch on.

Does anybody know how to retro-fit the fog light function in a US spec 1994 car?

Thanks in advance.

Lluís

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Luis, I think it's a dip panel setting. See attachment.
Be VERY careful when changing the dip settings.
Make a map of the high and lows before changing anything. Don't change any other ones out of curiosity. :-)

(Moderator, This is a copy out of my manual, but you should be able to pull it from your tech library if you want to change it.)

application/pdf
EverythingRollsRoyce Sultan dip panel codes to change.pdf (202.2 k)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the wiring diagramme, component locations and key, see:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/foglampscontinentalr1994my.pdf

I'm afraid that you must work through the miriad of switches, diodes, patches, links and relays. The foglamps are conventionally hard-wired, so software settings and diagnostics are not involved.

This document, along with many others, is awaiting publication in the Library until the complete 30,000+ series chassis information is fully compiled.

RT.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2009 - 01:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, I'll try to decypher the instructions and see what I decide...

Best regards, Lluís

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis,
did you work it out?
My Japanese spec Turbo R has the same issue. Did you change the dip settings or did you work out the hard wiring?
Thanks
Omar

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not yet, the main problem seems to be that I do not have the rear fog light switch, and I am not ready to change the full center console, so either I operate all four lights on one switch, either I add a hidden switch, which I do not like.

I am not obliged to have rear fog lights for the technical inspection here, but I might think of adding a hidden switch somewhere, because they are nice to have.

It was annoying the other day in France, because driving under heavy rain in a dark car I would have rather had them.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2009 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar,

The culprit of the problem is found:

I do not have a rear fog lights switch. I could not believe this, but indeed in the manual none of the pictures show a rear fog light switch and of course, being a Bentley there is no "blanking" plug... for more information see the diagram of Richard, I think items 11 and 14.

So no rear foglights unless I install a switch, which I may, or just connect all to the front fog lights, which will look neater but be more impractical.