Missing tool from spur toolkit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Missing tool from spur toolkit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, 20 February, 2009 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder could anyone fill me in on what the tool is that fits in the space between the handle of the pliers in this toolkit - I have one exactly the same but this tool is missing. It's not the tyre-depth gauge because that goes in the bottom left of the picture.

Jeff

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 20 February 2009)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, 23 February, 2009 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The keys for the wheel centres in my Continental-R. I guess it's the same in you car.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my toolbox the tire threat depth tool is in the lower left corner (as in the picture sent by Jeffrey) in the slot between the spanner legs I have the keys, but I will check tonight on my hand book, maybe the previous owner changed the things from place.

But anyway, the only thing missing in Jeffreys tool box are the wheel centre keys, the tire depth tool is where it should be, lower left corner, right?

Best regards,

Lluís

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well despite several refreshers Richard Treacy's observations are not here despite advice by email from the system? Not to matter, they'll arrive. Keys for the wheel hubs on Turbos together with the little plug puller, nestle in a small pouch on the inside of the spares flap at the top of the rear lining/cover of the boot/trunk.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some of the wheel trim locks are different and the 'keys' will not fit in the tiny pocket. These keys are hidden elsewhere depending on the car.

I think perhaps Richard may have taken a closer look at the tool kit and though his reply didn't apply.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll try to find John de Campi's article on all postwar toolkits later.

Could someone perhaps check a car ? Jeff's kit is a very rare intermediate variety, and I only have good pictures of kits for cars apparently immediately before and after his. The only photo I have of a complete kit which is possibly exactly like Jeff's is of useless quality once posted. The manuals don't show that exact kit at all, so I can't even check the part numbers of the tools. The pictures I have for SSII and the first SZs have two fixed screwdrivers. The later ones have one screwdriver holder with the removable screwdriver bits like Jeffs, but Jeffs are located behind the adjustable spanner. The pliers are on a different angle on the later ones too. However, they all have the UR20826/UR72331 tyre depth gauge located between the plier handles. Jeff's kit comes somewhere amongst these types.

R.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the information.

My car is in fact a 74 Shadow but I'd wanted to complete the toolkit as I may sell it at some time and buy the correct Shadow one. Given that there are different wheel trim locks perhaps it's better if I don't unless I can be sure it is the correct one for this kit.

Also Ive posted this link on another thread, it's a blog about RR toolkits among other things. As a teaser here's a couple of photos. I've tried to contact the blogger but no reply.

http://classiccarparts-roy.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-08-30T15%3A49%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 24 February 2009)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 19:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul. I was referring to Turbo fittings which have an alloy plug with an 'O' ring to hold them in the 'hubcap'. Under the plug is the lock to hold the centre cover.

Something I have not seen but must have been available are locks on the conventional hubcaps since I have seen the odd one with a very obvious machine hole bored at about 2/3rds the way out from the centre???

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cheked mine.

Even if my car is much later, the tool kit is IDENTICAL to that of Jeffrey picture : Jeffrey, are you sure your tool kit is original? I'll make pictures of mine tomorrow morning.

I stand corrected, the keys were in the little pocket in the boot cover BUT what laid between the spanner arms was a little steel hook, probably to pull the centres of the wheels out? Or to pull something else out, no clue.

My 2 cents,

Fraternal Bentley greetings from the Netherlands,

Lluís

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Apologies for the above link in my previous post -- it takes you to the correct blog but not to the relevant page: here is the direct link:

http://classiccarparts-roy.blogspot.com/

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Lluis - - I'm certain that it is NOT original: certainly not to my car. The tools are all German 'Heyco' brand. It was bought, alas, from the dreaded eBay...

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is original on an SY, it must be very rare. The spare bulbs are in the main part of the kit until the mid SSII cars. From then onward, the kits are like those of the first SZs - see the two screwdrivers and spare bulbs in the lid.

These kits come up for sale by spivs on the dreaded ebay all the time for a few hundred dollars.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And for completeness, here is a genuine, pristine Continental R toolkit with nothing missing. Yes, Jeff has a valuable gem on his hands. Note that the space between the pliers is empty. Also note that it is not a bit like the one shown in the spare parts catalogue for this chassis. There is no protective foam flap over the spare bulbs of these kits.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 03:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is mine,

A complete Continental R toolkit, complete with the protecting foam...

What is the slot are the keys and a funny puller. I think that I might have put MYSELF the keys there when I bought the car, because barely fit in the leather pocket and I was afraid of them falling out when I opened the tray, but I do not think they were originally there.

Being an idiot, I forgot to look into the handbook to see if anything is there originally. I promise to do it this week.

BR,

Lluís

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An this is the original tool kit carrier, the one on the left.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard and Lluis,

I'll make sure that when I do buy a kit for my Shadow (SRH20280) that it's the first one pictured above.

Maybe I'll keep the Continental toolkit - they are beautiful tools & do fit most of the screws etc on the Shadow.