Low Fuel Level 'Jitters' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Low Fuel Level 'Jitters' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2008 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day,
When the fuel guage on my '88 Spur gets to about the qtr full mark the car starts to get very jumpy and does not respond to hard accellerating. The fuel pump also makes a rather nasty whining noise as if its blocked. Once I fill up the tank normal wafting is restored! I am told the car has had a new fuel pump and the petrol tank removed and flushed so it can't be due to debris in the tank blocking the pump. Any ideas anyone?l

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2008 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps the gauge is reading a little optimistically. When Spirits run low they give those symptoms.

The fuel pumps rely on fuel to cool and lubricate them, so it is vital that the fuel is not allowed to run low on these cars.

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2008 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again Paul for your words of wisdom. Come to think of it my first 'half' of the tank does give me up to 300km so it may well be reading a qtr to high. I have noticed also the oil guage within the fuel guage does not move regardless of the oil level, thankfully I was told never to trust this as dipping proved it to be well off the mark! I'll continue filling up to full as soon as it hits the half mark until I get the LPG conversion!
Thanks again for your quick reply.
Lawrence

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 03 November, 2008 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just as a follow up on this, when i filled up after the last time it got the stutters it only took 69 litres until full. I think the spur has a 108 litre tank, which meant there was at least 30 litres left in there. It seems rather a lot of fuel to have left for it to start struggling. 10 litres maybe, but 30?