Dismantling door lining Continental R. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Dismantling door lining Continental R. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, 12 September, 2008 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear list,

The speakers in my 1994 Continental R have an ugly resonance in low frequency, so they should be changed. I guess they are standard 16.5 cm units, which I plan to change for new Alpine units.

I am worried about destroying more things than usual when trying to dismantle the door capping to access them.

Does anybody have drawings (or experience) on how the door capping is built and fixed to the door?

As usual, thanks.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, 17 September, 2008 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody door.

I have been trying to get at the front door speakers to no avail. Does anybody know how to dismantle the front part of the interior door capping? I canot get rid of the following items:

- bottom front corner fastener (what is sitting down there? A screw, a fastener?
- armrest front top support, around the chrome gaiter.

The rest seems to have come out orderly.

Best regards

Lluís

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, 18 September, 2008 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try this for a start.
application/pdf
ContiR3.pdf (79.9 k)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 22 September, 2008 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

VICTORY Day over the evil door lining.

With the help of the drawings and some instinct I finally managed to remove the door-lining, or at least to get sufficient access to comfortably change the door speakers.

The trick is that there are two small screws deeply buried in the door lining carpet at the bottom corners which you need to find by feel.

When you remove these screws plus all the others hidden behind the door handles and window switches then you are done and the door trim simply hinges on the top door handle support.

It's a brilliant design with no exposed screws, and the speakers are mounted on the door, not the trim, which is quite smart.

By the way, they are 120mm non-coaxial speakers, I replaced the broken original units with infinity coaxials, which fit almost perfectly in the original support. Sound is fine now.

Best regards

Lluís