Fixing Rego Plates Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Fixing Rego Plates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2008 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please can someone advise as to how you fix the rego plates to an 89 Spur / Spirit. I know it sounds daft but there are no screw holes as per the pic below. Do you use a strong double sided tape??

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 999
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2008 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you use tape Lawrence you will loose the plates to petrol station runners. Personally I do not like the 'silver' backed mounting plates. You can remove them and have them powder coated in semi-gloss black or matt black as is your preference then mount the plate by drilling holes. I wonder how the Canberra plates were held on?

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2008 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We use tape here, but then we don't get plates stolen I guess.

The plates are too big for a 'normal' car over here.

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2008 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hmmm interesting,

I just went and looked at my Spirit and it has a black back plate or really just the space between the rear lights on the boot panel is sprayed black. It has two holes with welded nuts at the back to take the number plate screws.
Perhapes the silver plate is actually over the black backing and is hiding these holes?

I have seen these silver plates before and assumed it was just a new variation Crewe used at the rear to brighten it up a bit.

Now that your car is dark blue Lawrence it may look better black? or the silver panel could break up the darkness?? not sure would have to see it.

Cheers

J

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2008 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The stainless plate was an extra and fitted on Spurs. They are fairly sought after. Don't damage it by drilling etc. Take it off and Ebay it! , the standard Spirit black should be behind it.

Is the plate like a tax disc / American type plate in Australia?

If you double-side the whole plate right up to it's edges, it should be near impossible to remove except with a heat gun.

(Hmmmmm now I guess parts of Australia are hot enough to feel like standing in front of a heat gun! )

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2008 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Lawrence,
My Silver Spur (ANC04359)also has a Stainless Steel Mounting plate and I notice that the number plate is screwed in.
My phone camera doesn't have a flash and it's rather dark at the moment so I'll try and take a shot of it later. There is a decorative black plastic cover over the number plates (not fitted by me as they were there when I purchased the car)and the screws are black to match the surround.

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2008 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Went for another look today and the garage have kindly mounted the plates already for me. I think they have screwed them in so no ebay for me. I will see how it looks once i put my black and white plates on to see it its worth removing. They have also lowered the rear suspension too much so it was rather like driving permanently up hill, so they need it another 2 days to fix that!!