External electric mirrors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » External electric mirrors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The left hand mirror on my Spur will move from left to right and back again but not up and down. I have removed the mirror and checked the power at the plug and identified that each terminal does indeed produce power to correspond with certain switch positions. And so the problem I deduce is in the mirror behind the glass. The mirror by the way as an assembly is replaceable at AUD1300 and the glass, wait for it, AUD230. Apparently the latter is fastened to the internals with double sided tape which explains why so many of these mirrors have slid down in the housing! If I have to break the mirror to get in there I will certainly take a template and get one cut but what will I find beneath it? The Mk 3 Jaguar XJ6 appears to have an identical fitting -or am I being too hopeful?

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update (a bit like talking to oneself). After some advice I used a sharp thin spatula, pushed one end of the mirror firmly into the mirror housing and forced the spatula between the mirror and the rubber backing (not double sided tape as I had been informed). The glue gave easily and the mirror didn't break (I have received a special dispensation against any bad luck if I do break it. So there is the guts sans mirror and in the middle is a screw, removing this and the rubber mount reveals a thin plastic box into which the loom plugs. That is held on by three more screws and with that removal you are left with a housing full of crud and dead raptors! The plastic box has a white button in the middle and apparently this this diddles around when energised wobbling the mirror with it. Unfortunately the box is thoughtfully 'rivetted'with plastic fasteners but these I hope can be replaced with fine (4BA?) countersunk screws and nuts. As I haven't the heart to smash the thing I am off to my electrics man and let him do that for me. Further bulletins will be issued! Meanwhile I am going to get the AUD230 mirro duplicated hopefully for a little less money.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

If you go to your local glass merchant, they will arrange for the old mirror to be "resilvered" at a very reasonable price.

To keep the mirror from developing creeping black spots, seal the edges of the mirror with ordinary nail polish to prevent moisture/air getting in and oxidising the aluminium coating which acts as the reflecting medium.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David. Good tip on the sealing. The mirror is actually perfect but at the price for a new one I thought I would have a spare in case. The Factory incidentally list a convex one presumably for more civilised climes but at God knows what price. Andrew tells me this is the third version he has heard of of this gadget!!!

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2004 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I have finally compared the door mirrors of a Series III Jaguar XJ to Rolls-Royce mirrors of the same era. They are absoutely identical to the ones on my Turbo R, including materials, all dimensions and shape, except I had mine colour keyed. However, the door bracket would need to be swapped over as the Jag has ugly but convenient externally accessed mounting screws which would look wrong on a R-R.

Look no further for spares !

It was hard to find a Jag here as they are now a bit old and disappear at an alarming rate. Still, the junkyards must be full of them.

Larry Halpert
New User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2004 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can it split from the jag base, & mate specifically to the original Rolls chrome door base (without the screws visible)? Is wiring, plugs, etc. identical?

Here's a pic. It does look the same as on my Spur.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 09 January, 2004 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard many thanks. I have been unable to source a Jag here and the dealers are in the 'what??!!! class! That hexagon bit above the mount worries me but assuming dimensions are the same the unit does look identical. Having got mine to bits and seen the extraordinary mechanism inside (mostly plastic)I think the innards would have to be identical. The plugging it seems is hit and miss and quite easily changed at the connector. My little problem seen at the start of this thread was a segment on the commutator of one of the two motors had come loose. It would have taken a neurosurgeon to repair it.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, 09 January, 2004 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

You could try:

In Australia:

http://www.jagspares.com.au

or in the UK:

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/cgi-bin/dm_parts.cgi?slctCar=Jaguar&slctCommercial=-&slctFourByFour=-&Search=1&search1.x=46&search1.y=8

or

http://www.247spares.co.uk/jaguar/

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, 09 January, 2004 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here they are at A$160 incl. GST ! New !

http://www.jagspares.com.au/prod1199.htm

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The mirrors are identical EXCEPT the series 3 Jag ones are NOT HEATED. (I have a series 3 V12) They are also all finished in chrome, so if yours are colour coded you'll need a some cans of spray paint.In Sydney XJ Auto Spares at Pendle Hill will usually beat all other prices. I know the later Spurs and Bentleys, approx 30000 on, had heated mirrors, don't know about the earlier ones, but in any case it's a small sacrifice considering the saving. By the way Bill, you can usually pry the mirror off with a bent spatula dislocating its little plastic socket things all in one piece without breaking the glue joint, and it then simply snaps back in. Been through the whole process with the Jag...

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're busy, Gordon.

1983 model year cars onwards, ie from chassis 12,001, all have heated mirrors. They are wired to the heated rear window function, activated by the aircon ECU.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2016 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
My glass is wobbling, what are these bent spatulars lie and where do you pull from? and how hard?
don't want to break my perfectly good glass.
Chhers
mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: