88 Turbo R driver rear view mirror Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 88 Turbo R driver rear view mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Fraser
New User
Username: wsf

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2008 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The driver's side mirror has developed a couple of fine cracks (it is broken!) and I have no idea how. Is this something that is relatively easy for me to do - like remove the glass and replace? I cannot see anything in the manual specifically about the replacing of the mirror glass. Is there anything special about the type of glass/mirror?

I read some shocker prices for the original replacement part?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill Fraser
NZL

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2008 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

The glass should be stuck on with a sticky pad. Gentle and careful levering from the edge should ease it away. A heat gun is good to loosen it's grip.

These mirror glasses can become loose in the UK summer . . . so yours may have been stuck with something else?!

Factory ones are dear, but you somebody out there will probably suggest an alternative. You guys are good at that. :-)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2008 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul/ Can I add my queries. My Spur (84)the left hand mirror its RHD the mirror simply will not traverse anti-clockwise sufficiently for the driver to get a view. I have pinched other mirrors off cars and they are no different. My conclusion is that when they punched the holes in the door they put them in the wrong place. Have you come across this problem. At the moment I practically have to climb into the back seat to see what is on the left hand side!

Second problem both mirrors and I have struck this in a number of cars the mirror slowly works its way down the pad until its dragging on the surround. What sort of glue works better? I get the mirror off by gently prising it out until I can get a spatula behind it and gently slice the mirror off the pad. I have spoken to the Jaguar people who use the same asembly with slightly different mounts and they have no problem!!!!! Bill any glass merchant can surely cut a mirror for you. Hopefully you can get the bits off intact and draw a pattern. If not I'll strip a spare asssembly I have and send you a pattern. Australian (?) mirrors are flat!

Another query. Somewhere in a product support paper there were instructions about assembling the mirrors after they were painted to match the car???

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2008 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill,

The spatular sounds like just the tool! I use thin number plate tape to re-mount loose glasses. Silicone or Tiger seal will do the trick but are a little too permanent.

Shadow IIs were terrible for factory fitted mirrors on passenger doors being totally useless. ( they were never standard)
I always angled the passenger one to get a good view when I fitted them retrospectively.

I've not come across the problem on Spirits though. I'll have to take a look.

Over the years we have:
Made wooden wedges with vinyl trim.
Two lots of thick double sided tape on one side, one thin strip on the other, with tiger seal around the edge to fill the gap.
Plastic wedges from builders merchants are what we used last time - they can be glued together and are made to adjust etc. Seal around the outside.

Not sure if this is it Bill. It's just glass removal. I think it's easy after that?

application/pdfMirror
door mirror.pdf (65.2 k)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Monday, 07 July, 2008 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill C,

It sounds as if you somehow have a passenger's mirror assembly for a LHD car's left (driver's) door fitted.

You may easily correct that to suit RHD. Remove the mirror assembly: there is the little plastic cover aft at the base to prise out to remove the single retaining grubscrew. Lift off the assembly outwards at the rear first, then unplug the heater connector, the memory connector where fitted, and the position motor connector. On a bench, release the detent spring retainer and lift off the detent cam base, then file a new stop notch in the detent cam for the correct RHD position. When you unfold the mirror, it will then detent either to the LHD or to the RHD position.

To suggest that the passenger's door mirror is in any way inferior is just bonkers, and that applies to SSII cars to Australian spec too. I literally could not drive my RHD Turbo R here in Europe without it. And yes, a new glass may be cut to pattern, or better bought from a Jaguar dealer or a junkyard. Convex mirrors have been illegal in cars in Oz for years, so if you must have convex ones (essential for those few older cars, like R-Types and some later models too, with wing mirrors), visit a motorcycle shop.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, 07 July, 2008 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mirror Glass Removal

By the way, the glass is mounted on a plastic base. The glass and base may be removed by snapping the assembly outwards as shown below. Make a pair of suitable tools to be sure that the glass comes out with its base rather than separating from it.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Tuesday, 08 July, 2008 - 03:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PLEASE NOTE:

The above snap-off system only applies to 30,000-series SZ cars onwards. These have the mirror and base attached to the mechanism by three snap-in sockets.

On earlier cars, the mirror is stuck over the heater printed circuit board (where fitted, that is from SZ chassis 12000) which is stuck to the base. The base is fixed to the electric movement mechanism by a single centre screw under the mirror glass. On these cars, prise the glass off gently, using a knife, bent 90 degrees half way along its blade, betweeb the glass and the base but ahead of the printed circuit heater element, or between the base and the glass where no heater is fitted. Be sure to leave the heater element stuck to the base, otherwise its wires will break off and it will be useless. A solder repair to this type of printed circuit is virtually impossible as it is only laminated in thermoplastic, so take care if you want your mirror heater to work again.

RT..

C Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.21.34
Posted on Tuesday, 08 July, 2008 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill,
I have just seen the above thread and thought that the only bit of information I have might be of help. The 'bits' that control movement of the the door mirror on my 1982 Silver Spirit were broken! I found a complete door mirror identical to the Silver Spirit at an Autojumble and was told it was one of a pair off a Jaguar XJS. Took the inards out, installed it in the Silver Spirit even the colour coding on the wiring was the same. If all else fails this could be another option,
Best of luck Bill
Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)