SY and SZ Workshop and Spares Manuals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » SY and SZ Workshop and Spares Manuals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, 12 June, 2008 - 00:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The SZ workshop and spares manuals are online up until the 1989 model year. Any missing parts will be added as they arise, and improvements will be ongoing. Later models will be covered soon:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/05_sz.htm

or start at:

http://rrtechnical.info/

SY manuals, including Silver Shadow II / T2, are online at:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/04_SY

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, 12 June, 2008 - 00:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: See the Silver Shadow II/T2 section G for a preview of where the manuals are headed online.

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/tsd4200_g.htm

Mark Aldridge
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.157.56.95
Posted on Thursday, 12 June, 2008 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard ,a personal thanks for the time and effort that you and the RROC Australia have expended in creating this library and making it available in the UK.This support your message board,and T1 topics is invaluable for DIY owners like myself.
Mark Aldridge

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, 19 June, 2008 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark/ I'll grab a bit of those thankyou's for myself and John Richardson. This whole exercise started with Tee One Topics going onto this forum as I was getting a bit sick of forking out $150 each month for the printing and postage. This forum obviously is not designed for reference library's, a circumstance readily realised apparently by our Web Administrator.

He opted for a well known platform 'WIKI' which stands for something but which is designed primarily for the sharing of information and provides for viewers input. The idea is great and with well-meaning contributors, works well. But it seems with car sites and particularly RR sites, the strange ones emerge, solely bent on ridiculing, discrediting and ultimately destroying the site.

Richard and I asked Federal Council to allocate space on the relevant servers to compile a Technical Library using our own platform. This was approved and the result is open to all. Richard and I both feel very strongly that the ultimate aim is to preserve the cars. Pre-war models being relatively few in number and having been dismantled, remantled and back again by many people, they are pretty well documented. Post-war cars however have suffered from the understandable application of exclusivity of information. The dealers had to be given first bite of the cherry and added to comprehending the complexity of cars as the century progressed, there was little to help the would be enthusiast and restorer to preserve his car. An added constriction was the practice of so many clubs denying their acquired information to non members. This attitude you will appreciate does little for the new owner in the backwoods with little spare cash and an ailing car.

Lastly there is the simple constraint of economics. Mechanics experienced with the post-war models are fast disappearing and the remainder in many cases find they can charge what they like for their services. The answer is have a go yourself. Share your problems on web forums including this one, read the material we put on the library and ask!!!

The library you will notice is gradually being broken up into manageable sizes. We realize it is not very practical to have to download 53MB of material to find out whether you should have 5 or 6 bolts holding down the wigwam! This breaking down is very time consuming but the results are well worth the effort. Some areas on the web are blatantly lifting the material we have spent so much time amassing and putting it on their own site. No problem, we know where it came from and as long as it is accessable it will benefit the cars!

Finally thanks to all of you who have encouraged us in our efforts. Tee One Topics seems to go on for ever and my great mentor Jonas Trachsel in Switzerland is once again updating the index. With friends and enthusiasts like these Richard and I can't go wrong!!

C Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.37.165.182
Posted on Wednesday, 18 June, 2008 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
Just add my thanks to all involved in putting the manuals on line and making them so readily available. The manuals and the website have been invaluable to me in keeping my cars on the road. The time & effort given to this task of putting the manuals on line is very much appreciated.
Best Regards
Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, 19 June, 2008 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Following on from Bill's post, the catalyst for this project was a suggestion I posted on the US R-R/B forum early this millenium for an International Technical Archive available to all R-R/B enthusiasts.

A steering committee was formed comprising members of the RROC[Australia], RROC[USA] and RREC[UK] and commenced evaluation of the project. This evaluation came to a screaming halt when certain "Luddites" insisted the information should be restricted to club members only and the technical information held by their clubs would not be made available to custodians outside their respective clubs. It is to the credit of the RROC[Australia] that they did not share this view however they were concerned about copyright issues that could arise from making this information available.

The Archive proposal died as a consequence until it was resurrected by Bill Coburn, Richard Treacy and a group of enthusiasts from around the world who have made their information and time available for the benefit of all custodians especially those in locations remote from any organised club.

The acceptance, recognition and benefits of the Technical Library justifies the work put into it by the contributors and co-ordinators and this will continue as long as there are enthusiasts prepared to repair, maintain and restore vehicles which are an important part of our heritage.

To the Luddites and doomsayers, the existence of the Technical Library has actually encouraged custodians to join Clubs especially the RROC{Australia]. There have not been any copyright issues and useful information not previously held in club archives has been found. Vehicles which might otherwise have been neglected or worse have been given a new lease on life. Above all, enthusiasts regardless of race, creed and location have come together to share a common bond and learn something of each other thus helping to break down barriers and make our world a better place. This was my objective and the outcome has exceeded my expectations. Thank you one and all.

(Message edited by david_gore on 19 June 2008)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Thursday, 19 June, 2008 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a question for users. We have installed SY and SZ spare parts manuals, the TSD 6166 and TSD 6167 sets in their relevant sections as follows:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/spare/6580HOME.PDF

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/tsd6167/start.pdf

They work extremely quickly, effectively and correctly on most operating systems, but I have heard reports that they fail to open past the first page it seems on just a few others. I have heard of one Linux system not OK with them, whilst others with Linux seem fine. I also know of one MAC on Unix which cannot go far on the spares manuals alone.

We would like some feedback on where problems arise, particularly with UNIX and Linux, and with MAC computers.

If the problem is bad enough and cannot be solved quickly at source, we shall redo the parts manuals in simple HTML form with full URL indexing, quite a mammouth task involving the massaging of thousands of PFD files and the creation of hundreds of new HTML pages. I have heard no reports of problems with the HTML.based manuals like the Silver Shadow II/Corniche/Camargue manual, which we are presently breaking down as Bill says.

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/tsd4200.htm

It is fully ready up to part J today, including mineral oil suspensions for the late 1970's Corniche and Camargue cars. The other parts are there, but still just a little slow to load.

We look forward to any comments here.

Many thanks,

Richard.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Saturday, 21 June, 2008 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have redone the TSD6167 SZ spares catalogue, so now it should now index directly regardless of operating system. It was a large job, but if the feedback is positive, I shall do the SY TSD6166 also.

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/tsd6167/start.pdf

RT.

Lutz Gruenenwald
New User
Username: jimknopf

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard!

It works perfectly on MacOS X:

Computername: Power Mac G4
Computermodell: PowerMac3,6
CPU-Typ: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Anzahl der CPUs: 2
CPU-Geschwindigkeit: 1 GHz
L2-Cache (pro CPU): 256 KB
L3-Cache (pro CPU): 1 MB
Speicher: 768 MB
Busgeschwindigkeit: 167 MHz

Thank you for your great work! Your valuable page has been linked for years now on my personal links and is my No. 1 recommendation.

Gruss aus Muenchen

Lutz
(JimKnopf)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Lutz,

TSD6167 SZ spares is now updated. Whenever opening a page which has been opened previously, I suggest users press <refresh> as rhe pages are updated regularly. This ensures that the computer accesses the web and not its temporarily files stored on the computer.

Especially, if a page does not work properly, refreshing it may solve the matter. On most computers, pages are stored locally as temporary internet files. The old local file is usually opened to save time, but it may be out of date. Either clearing the temporary files as part of standard compuer maintenance or refreshing each page will ensure that the latest version is read.

Regards,

Richard.
Here is a snap of part of the SZ page: