Twin Distributor Belt Replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Twin Distributor Belt Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

C Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.21.34
Posted on Tuesday, 10 June, 2008 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill,
Apologies but I did not read Tee One until the other night due to work commitment!!!! I have the original piece I wrote with the help of RT and if it would be of help to you if you were going to cover the subject you are most welcome to receive it. The distributor on later Turbo's was changed and does not dismantle in the same way as the one I described when I changed the belt in my '88 Turbo. If you do require anything please email me: lungmuss@aol.com
regards,
Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, 03 October, 2008 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Clive/ My apologies for not replying earlier. Inevitably one of these contraptions turned up on my doorstep a week ago with no indication as to when or if the belt had been changed. We are talking about 20 years and 88,000K! I took fright despite your and Richard's advice and fled to my mentor at Moss Vale a small town mid-way twixt Canberra and Sydney. All went well and we combined it with re-sealing the rear pump which I had always baulked at, buried as it seemed under all the fuel injection! The essence of the belt job is clearly marking which wire goes where, establishing the firing order and getting it all back as intended. Some little time ago a similar model appeared here with a slight tremor in the idling. Turned out that someone had put the high tension wires back into the wrong holes, yet the motor still ran. As an observer noted 'a clear case of electronics triumphing over idiocy'.

I am hoping Richard will put the service bulleting on belt replacement on our growing library as it is crucial to the running of the car. Given the almost maintenance free nature of these later engines, one wonders, as did a friend of mine,whether the Factory popped in the belt/dual distributors and accompanying paraphenalia just to provide a little challenge to bored service people!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Friday, 03 October, 2008 - 21:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Done:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/twindistributorbelt.pdf

Or search through:

http://rrtechnical.info/

and go to SZ then to the link in the SZ 20,000-series supplement.

We can find a place in the library for those extremely useful articles by Clive and others too if they agree. My early injected Turbo R has the splitable type twin distributor, easier to service than the solid later type, but the principles are the same.

RT.

Clive Lungmuss
Yet to post message
Username: clive_lungmuss

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 04 October, 2008 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill & Richard,

With the help of the car owner Tony Joynson we changed the belt on a later model Bentley Turbo. The type of distribuor was where it is in one piece and you take out the spindle on the driven side. A lot more tricky to do and we most certainly did not complete the job in 1 hour!!!! We found the hardest part was to keep the rotors in the aligned position and slip the belt onto the cog. After several attempts on it went, As you point out Bill marking the plug leads saves a lot of frustration. It is good the message board is there to give everyone some instruction on completing these essential jobs.

All the best to you both and thank you for the growing amount of technical information you continously supply.

Clive

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, 04 October, 2008 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A little bit late I'm afraid but my tip would be.

If they don't align first time, instead of taking it off: put some thing small and round ( straw off a can of WD40 or a cotton bud stick) and introduce this to one of the teeth and then turn the drive so it goes round between the belt and the cog.

It will alter their relative positions so you can then align them correctly.