Is there ever an end to oil leaks.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Is there ever an end to oil leaks.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
New User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 04 June, 2008 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Back up and operational now that my account has been reactivated. Team, I have systematically asked Vawsers to attack seals in 16504 as time progresses. To date I have had the rocker covers done with the new and very expensive neoprene seals, sump and sump plugs, various engine and hydraulic hoses, housings and gaskets all done and still I get a drop of engine oil on the floor of the garage..... It's not the rear main as I thought and next week I am having Vawsers put in a new oil pressure sender unit in as this is the suspected culprit of the minor drip plus the gauge in the dash is a bit flickering..... I am pedantic I know, its the one and only thing that does irritate me about my old darling..... Vawsers think I am mad and tell me its one of the cleanest undersides of a Roller they know of and to simply 'get over it' 'if its a drop your lucky' they say, if its a pool.... ohh dear...
But apart from that all is proceeding with Pace and Grace.... thankfully

Cheers

James

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, 04 June, 2008 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

With all due respect to the Vawser's both senior and junior, I suggest a close check of the "A covers" on each engine bank as these are known to have an occasional incontinence problem and the rear cover is not the easiest to access.

If not done already, have you considered giving the engine bay a good wash down with kerosine to dissolve/wash away any existing oil & grease deposits, let the car "drip dry" overnight then check for static leaks.

If this does not reveal any leaks, take the car for an hour or so run, leave it overnight and repeat the check for leaks.

Hope you find the source and solution for your leak(s).

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 04 June, 2008 - 15:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

Please be aware I am not being critical of Vawsers service at all, both A & B covers were done, I saw the work in situ myself. The sides of the engine are completely grease and oil free. To date they have been extraodinarly patient and have with great care taken 16504 to now near as good as it can be, it is really no magor issue.... I am just a little paranoid re oil leaks... its my problem really not the old girls... when I said a drop it is about the size of a 1 cent piece from around the rear of the sump area I think...

Yes the car has had a complete wash down and degrease underneath and as a matter of fact every few weeks I give it a good hose under there myself....

oh well lets see if we can get the problem fixed next week.. will report back to you with how things go.

thanks David

James

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, 05 June, 2008 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James, I think David was talking about the triangle plates on the end of each head. Not A & B rocker covers.

I'd suggest the only way to stop these engines dripping onto the garage floor would be to put something between the car and the floor :-)

Have you tried running her with the oil lower between minimum and maximum on the dip stick?

Good luck - don't drive yourself mad.

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 05 June, 2008 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

LOL... yes its called an oil mat... I invested in one to calm my nerves to keep the Roller's floor space in the garage oil free. Very sensible idea too.
re triangle plates... have no idea what your referring too but will now talk to the guys next week about them... very interesting what you find out huh!

re oil levels I check them every few weeks and it doesn't seem to use any oil. I have never needed 'top up' as it seems to sit on 'max' for 6 months then its due for its next oil change...

Paul of course your right... I suppose I should look at it this way and as Vawsers remind me of too... if thats all you have to worry about with the car then that's a good thing....

Cheers

J

David Gore

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, 05 June, 2008 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

Yes I was referring to the triangle plates - when I first took over DRH14434, I had some advice from York Motor's mechanics who referred to them as "A" plates.

James, I wasn't suggesting you had been critical of Vawser's; I was just being courteous about bringing up an obvious source of leaks that would be well-known to them. As far as oil levels go, do not lose sight of the fact that cars which spend most of their life in city traffic usually experience a build-up of condensate in the engine oil. If the car then does a high-speed country trip, this condensate evaporates lowering the oil level and giving the impression of abnormal oil consumption. This oil dilution is the reason why I have always suggested earlier-than- recommended oil changes for city-based vehicles.

Would be interested to know if there is evidence of oil drops on the bottom of the torque convertor bell-housing or if the oil is dropping off the sump.

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 05 June, 2008 - 22:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will let you know what they find David. But can confirm not a drop on the bell housing. It is a little dribble that makes its way down the rear of the sump from what I can see. It really is only when the car comes back from a good run this dribble appears. I don't do much city driving in the Rolls anyway, while it would not matter to it, I find driving in stop start traffic with the Roller irritating.

James

David Gore

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, 06 June, 2008 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

My suspicions are either a leak from the rear triangle plate or from the rear hydraulic pump mount - both hard to see unless you remove the carburettor intake assembly and use an inspection mirror.

To get to the rear triangle plate, you have to remove the rear transmission mounts [mark position for reference when replacing], allow the engine to drop to increase clearance from the bulkhead so you can remove the plate, replace the gasket and reinstall the plate. The rear mounts are reinstalled and the engine/transmission is lifted to its original position with a floor jack before locking the mounts in position.

The only other possibility I can think of is a weep from the valley cover under the intake manifold which is running back to the rear of the block however this should be obvious when the manifold is removed.

Hope you find the source without too much difficulty.

David

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 06 June, 2008 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jesus... too technical for me David, about as mechanical as I would ever get is doing the fluid checks. I will ask Vawsers to check for it. No carbs on mine it has EFI. Actually come to think of it I am fairly sure they said they put new seals in the two pumps as when they did the rocker covers all the fuel injection stuff was removed to do the rocker covers. Be a bugger if it is the rear pump. These triangle thingys maybe the culprit as you first suspected David... i'll let you know

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, 06 June, 2008 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James we seem to be speaking of the soiler as 'oil'. There are at least three varieties of the product that could be bothering you. Can I suggest getting an appropriate sheet of glass, a glazier will usually give you off-cuts, stand it on a couple of bricks and drive the car over it so that the area of dripping is above the proven receiving point on the ground. The colour and smell of the oil should help to identify its source. If it is a bright green it is hydraulic fluid, dirty oil will be from the engine and clear oil from the transmission.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 06 June, 2008 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BUM!

I posted a longish reply yesterday . . . or thought I had! LOL.

If I get time later I'll rewrite it.

One suggestion was using a leak detector dye in the engine oil. (Similar to the one used in the Air Con system)

Clean the engine then add the dye. You then use the UV light and patience to see where the leak appears. Trouble is this can be time consuming. I like to add the dye, let it idle for about 30 seconds or so only to mix the dye and oil, then let it sit. Keep checking every 15 to 30 mins. Night times / dark evenings are best. Wait a bit longer than you want to , just to make sure there aren't two or more sources.

Then repeat with the engine running.

As you can imagine, this ties up a ramp or pit for quite a while.

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 07 June, 2008 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I can pretty much be sure its not mineral oil and it isn't transmission oil either. The drop is not green or red, it is a slightly burnt golden oil colour therefore I am assuming its engine oil. ie coming from a recalcitrant rear seal on the engine somewhere....lets see what happpens next week and I will share the findings.

Have a great long weekend all!

J

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 15 June, 2008 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

For whatever its worth... my little dribble has indeed been traced to the rear casing seal.... yep the one that requires the gearbox to be removed to renew. Vawsers' tell me not to worry as the leak is very minor and wait till the gearbox needs overhauling to get it done as the cost to pull the gearbox out and replace the seal is about a grand..... I will be putting up with this little drop I can tell you.
The gearbox is in no need of overhaul yet so it looks like my little drop will be with me for a while.... oh well you know what they say ' if a Roller isn't leaking oil there is no oil in it...'

BTW I did ask them about the triangle seals/plate thingys and these were fine... ta all again for your advice and happy motoring.

J

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, 15 June, 2008 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well that's fine James. I wonder whether you have had the engine breather filter cleaned. If that blocks, pressure can build up in the crank case and guess where it relieves itself. This is only a straw to clutch as it is a standard service item that sometime gets overlooked since it is a bit awkward to get at!

Paul Yorke
Prolific User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 15 June, 2008 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a good rust preventative anyway. :-)

Try only topping up when it gets nearer the minimum mark as well.

James Feller
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 18 June, 2008 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,

Paul your right! Bill thanks for your sage words, I have no idea if the breather filter has been cleaned? Where is it located? Can I check this myself? Is it typical RR and put in such a spot you need primal ape limbs and digits to get at it?

J

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, 18 June, 2008 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The breather is that odd looking black coated pipe that wobbles along over the 'B' bank rocker arm cover from the rear of the oil filler then around the back of the left hand air horn and joins up with the main air intake casting with a nice black adapter and secured with a single bolt. The filter is in a little housing immediately behind the oil filler and is held in place again by a single bolt. The latter can easily be undone by ET but for Terrans it is a bit fiddly (7/16" A/F). With that bolt removed and the one at the other end the whole pipe and filter housing can be pulled out and cleaned! Don't loose the 'O' ring under the top adapter!