Turbo R Tachometer Flicker Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R Tachometer Flicker « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Fraser
New User
Username: wsf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 02 May, 2008 - 17:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This post has been sitting rather lonely in the wrong group.
1987 Turbo R
The tachometer has recently begun to intermittently drop to zero - and can be encouraged to read properly with a light tap on the glass, for a while anyway. It does not seem to be affected by road bumps / shocks - it will just decide to stop reading revs while motoring along.

I guess this will entail the removal of the tachometer and having it checked out? Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what was the remedy?

I am not looking forward to removing the dash.
Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, 02 May, 2008 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tha tacho is easy to remove: just remove the walnut facia (take off the two organ knobs and two screws or captives and the facia comes straight out with gentle even pulling all around the top edge). Retained by two or four sctrews the tacho removes outwards. I'll bet you only have a slightly corroded spade connector on the back of the tacho.

RT.

Rob. Smith
New User
Username: ro80rob

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 03 May, 2008 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My tacho has the same problem. Occaisionally I will get a faltering reading or the reading will stop all together. A tap on the top of the dash restores operation.
I too regard this fault as a simple bad connection. If it is inside the unit then that is rather more frustrating as getting into the unit will no doubt be quite fraught. However, first stop will be to remove and re-connect the rear connections to the meter itself. I was intending to do the contortionist method (head in the pedals) and reach up to check the connections. Its quicker (but not as pleasant as removing the wooden cover (though Richard has once again allayed my worries on that score), but I would rather do the minimalist job as regards removal and put up with the feeling ill for an hour or so afterwards.

Cheers... Rob.

Bill Fraser
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2008 - 14:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the help Richard. Just got around to it.
Haven't yet taken her for a run yet - due to this week for a service etc. You were right, access was easy enough.

Bill Fraser
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Job completed - 100kms or so travelled - issue resolved.
Thanks Richard.