Spirit Drivers Door Locks... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spirit Drivers Door Locks... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
New User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2007 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Having difficulty with drivers side door lock. I insert the key and have to jiggle it a bit to initiate either unlock or lock for central locking.

Passengers side is fine with all my keys, I am a bit concerned I might break the key in the door or worse, break the lock.... All my keys seem to do this in this lock. As I said the passenger one is fine.

Is the lock cactus? I have tried using WD40 to lube it up a bit and although all works fine re central locking, the initial turning seems to be a very delicate 'finding of the sweet spot' so to speak... anyone else had this problem?

James

clive
Unregistered guest
Posted From: host217-37-165-182.in-addr.btopenworld.com
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2007 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,
I tried to post to the thread yesterday but it does not seem to have put in an appearance.

I once had a problem with key/lock and it was when I had a spare key cut. That key would open the doors but not turn on the ignition! Perhaps you should check that you are not using a 'copy'. When I took the key back to the locksmith he cut another key and that was fine.

Trust this helps and you find the answer so that you can fully enjoy the 'new' car.

Clive Lungmuss

(Message approved by david_gore)

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2007 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ta Clive,

I have tried all keys, both copies I have had made, and the 2 originals I have. All seem to be a bit hard in the drivers door... but all are fine in the passengers and boot locks.... Ignition is fine though.

I just have to be very gentle and get it just right and all copies then release fine the drivers door. I might as you suggest go back to the locksmith and have them sanded or buffed or whatever they do to see if this helps. This is why I believe the lock maybe a bit cactus.

Cheers

James

Paul Yorke
Frequent User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2007 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps the key that the copy was made from was slightly out, added to the wear in the drivers door lock. Making copies of a worn key usually gives you a worse key unless your lock smith makes allowances.
Note how you have to hold the key to make it work and try to explain it to the locksmith.

My next step would be to have a key cut to the key number instead.

James Feller
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2007 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ta Paul,

This was precisely what I was going to do. I have the original plastic security card with the cars key number on it with all the cars books. I will be in London in the next 2 weeks so will track some Yale ones down with this. I suspect your right, that the keys have not been cut to exact copies of the originals.

Cheers

James