Failing engine mounts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Failing engine mounts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spirits and Spurs being the flavour of the month I offer some warning about engine mounts. When I bought my beast I was aware that the rear mounts were a bit sad and could do with replacement. Preferring to get the brakes working first I have only just got to the point of hoisting the rear of the powerplant and removing the original mounts. Close examination of the units revealed that both had sheared and the engine had 'revolved' some five degrees clockwise stopped only by the attaching bolts! The units removed revealed that the 'bonding' of the rubber mount to the steel mounting plate had only succeeded for about twenty percent of the total area. A little problem with quality control it would seem. Moaning to a 'professional' friend he said one of the more exciting times in the job had involved telling a customer that during the final road test of his car after a service, he had unfortuntaely thrown the engine through the radiator! We all know the case of the rotten front mount saturated with oil. Stamp on the brakes, the engine stays where it is, the car goes down and in the case of the early Shadows the fan eats its way through the header tank. A lot of SZ cars enjoyed the circular front mount which in my case would seem to have saved me a lot of heartache!

All this to suggest you lot have a quiet check of the engine mounts eh!!

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few warnings over mounts.

From SZ chassis 3694 to 16930, Crewe made a real mess of the mounts, then switched back to the same UR19203 front and UR 19204 rear mounts as early SZs and Shadows. The front mount (UR23008) is a pig of an affair, but at least cannot shear. The rear mounts (UR23140) were a short-lived special, and they fitted a stabiliser linkage at the front. Gone on the 20,000 series cars. They changed the rear mounts again from chassis 30,000(UR71176).

Please make sure that you mark the rear mounting flanges for height and refit them exactly as they were as they are adjustable (oval hole). Because I was busy, a few years ago I had all the mounts on 20037 replaced by my garage. He set the motor too high. When I accelerated at a medium rate (Turbo R) the steering jammed: the block moved just enough to foul the steering column. I lowered the rear mounts myself and the problem was cured. I should have done it myself in the first place and saved time and money.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fortunately I remembered to do some scribing Richard when I changed the mounts. I have yet to see any writings on how to align the engine in the sub-frame.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree:
Do the repair yourself, if at all possible.
Scribe all positions and restore exactly.