TRANSMISSION OIL LEAK? 1980 SILVER SP... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » TRANSMISSION OIL LEAK? 1980 SILVER SPIRIT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2007 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All, I wonder if somebody could give some advice ? I spotted a transmission oil leak ( a drop now and again) so I have the car lifted up and to my suprize it is dripping between the prop shaft and the coupling flange where the bolts are ! is there a seal there?
Cheers
Rodney

Paul Yorke
Frequent User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2007 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I assume it's leaking from the back of the box and running along to the flange.

If so, Yes :-)

used to be something like GM8625893

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2007 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul ,
Thats what I thought but its leaking from between the flange and prop shaft where the bolts are ,this is why I can't understand how.Can the fluid run inside the flange and leak out there?
Cheers Rodney

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2007 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
Can anybody help me a little with this problem ,the leak comes out between the prop shaft screws and the gearbox flange coupling is this possible that the fluid runs through the shaft and out there where the bolts screw together.
thankyou
Rodney

Paul Yorke
Frequent User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2007 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rodney,

I'll take a look at one tomorrow, but I think they are solid.

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2007 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
O.K thanks, I too think they are solid this is what makes it so strange ,I have the car up on the ramp and I wait and clean it with a cloth and in a few hours you can see how it starts to weep again ,where the seal is dry!!
very very funny!!
thanks
Rodney