Update on my friend with potentially ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Update on my friend with potentially serious problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, 26 April, 2007 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

So, it appears my friend has a leaking rear main seal. She is now not sure if she wants to fix this or not. I understand that this is a serious job? Does anyone know anything about it?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Thursday, 26 April, 2007 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First, I assume that the breather has been checked. There is a rough and ready check. Open the filler cap and listen. There should be a loud hissing of air on idle, and billows of blue smoke if you drive with the cap open. If not, the breather may be blocked causing oil to be pumped out. It is most important that this common possibility be eliminated first.

If the rear main oil seal is indeed faulty, it is not such a frightful job. Take heart, I did one on a Holden once: that entailed removing the sump and dropping the crankshaft. With the camshaft removed and all, it was almost a complete motor rebuild in-situ. By comparison, I replaced the original scroll housing by a brand new Silver Spirit seal and housing on our T-Series in two hours including replacing the front transmission seal for good measure.

Compared to most other makes of vehicle, this job is relatively less difficult on these cars. With the transmission removed (a one hour job or less), then the flexplate off, the small housing with the rear main seal comes off easily. The main bearings do not need loosening, and the sump does not need to be disturbed. With the housing on the bench, the seal change is a trivial job, then it all reassembles. A new seal costs A$200 in the UK, and there is a special gasket set for refitting the housing with the sump in place.

At some time or another, this vehicle will need to be fixed. With any leaks, it is not roadworthy. The alternative of selling it would be futile. Selling a Rolls-Royce with a major oil leak would be like trying to sell a bottle of Grange without a cork.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Thursday, 26 April, 2007 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These are the key breather components on a 1990 car. If they are gummed up or leaky, they will promote engine oil leaks. I mention this as the rear main oil seals on these cars are normally extremely long-lived, and leaks are most commonly caused by a poorly maintained breather system.