What does this plug do? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » What does this plug do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hameed Noor Mohamed
New User
Username: hameednoor

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2007 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photo
1990 Silver Spur 129,000 kms. I have had intermittent misfiring. The misfiring starts when the car heats up. First diagnosis was an idle speed acutator. Changed this and the car improved but still random misfiring once the car heats up.

Then we found this. Please see photo. If we pull this plug (the one with the wires showing / pointing finger) the misfiring disappears. Seems to have a very slight higher RPM. Plug it back and the misfiring starts. No problems with driving without the plug in but the check engine light comes on. What is this and what is the cure. Appreciate any assistance.

I live in Dubai and other than the dealer (VERY expensive) there are a few mechanics who want to touch the car. They get nervous when I drive the car in and politely refuse to do any work.

Thanks

Paul Yorke
Experienced User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2007 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hameed , that is called the Electro - hydraulic actuator.EHA. It regulates fuel pressure in the metering unit, and adjusts the CO / mixture.

It sounds like you are running rich when it's hot. It may be some other fault telling the EHA to make it richer and not a fault with the EHA itself.

Possibly a temperature sensor telling the ECU that the engine is still cold and needs extra fuel?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2007 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Connect it back up, zero the flash code[blink code]
Run the car in a various manner.slow fast drives.
A system on board check will show up the fault in most cases.
Could just be the lamda etc etc causing the system to go into open loop.

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 23 April, 2007 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - How do you go about doing this.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, 24 April, 2007 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hum, two ways as your car may possibly be manufactured on change over dates.

First try,turn the ignition to the running position the check engine warning panel lights up.
[Do not not starts the car as code retreaval will not work with the engine running].

Press the trip and the cancel buttons together for five seconds.

Count the flash codes in the check engine warning panel 2.5 seconds between on and lamp off.

when completed you will get the 1.1.1.1.
also the system fault will be displayed in the lower dot matrix.
Do try this way first.

If it[flash code] works and no faults are flaged up [present] then the 4.4.4.4. will register in the warning check engine panel.

Hope this helps but feel free to email myself if the going gets tough.

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 25 April, 2007 - 03:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - I put the ignition to run and it read systems check for some time and came up with an image of oil and battery. No check engine. I started the car and then shut it down. Tried again, same thing. Waited, then the check engine light came on. Pressed both the buttons and nothing. The battery and the oil symbol were coming on and off but no flashing. I did all of this with the ignitiion in run and the car was not started. Tried repeating the process a few times but no result. Then back to the computer to post. Thanks for your patience.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, 25 April, 2007 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2nd way.
you may have the red test button this is in the fuse panel.
Ignition on and press the button for five seconds.
then count the flash codes.
As the check light came on when the plug was disconected codes will be flaged up and stored.
I am curious to know how you carried out your original diagnosis of the ISA.

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 25 April, 2007 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had this misfiring since I bought this car. The check engine light came on intermittently. Being a newbie I took it to the dealers. They changed the alternator. Plugs were also changed. They did not suggest any alternative action asking me to live with it as it would be 'too expensive' to fix it. Next step was the Bosch service station. The chief mechanic became nervous when he saw a Rolls Royce. Did not want to touch it and suggested me to an independent garage. The mechanic there said that the idle speed acutator was not working. I changed that. The shuddering during idle improved and did not misfire when cold. Misfiring started when it was hot. His next suggestion was to change the complete distributor unit and the injectors. I guessed he was trying to take the easy way out. Then got recommended to another mechanic by the person who sold me the car. Apparently this mechanic had worked on other Rolls Royces. He changed all the belts, fixed the leaking radiator and then found that the misfiring disappeared when he pulled this plug.

BTW, on the rrbew site, it was suggested that the O2 sensor could be faulty and may need replacement.

Let me try to look for the red button.

Thanks

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, 26 April, 2007 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hameed,if the 02 sensor[lamda] had failed this would illuminate the check light panel full time,as yours is intermittent there may be codes stored by system errors that are not shown by the illuminated panel but still stored on the ecu.
Could you get the car on a 4 gas anayliser and get some readings put up.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2007 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any news and progress updates on any results done yet?.

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 07 May, 2007 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have been travelling. I do not have a red button but a black square one on the extreme right of the fuse box. As a first time user of this, I could not figure our error codes, but got a 1.1.1.1 (i think). Nothing displayed below. Let me give it a try again tomorrow and will update. Thanks for the assistance.

But now a more serious problem has come up. The ac compressor is leaking. With the temperature hovering around 40 degrees, no ac means I bake, even at night. Have identified a guy who will fix the compressor.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, 07 May, 2007 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you had the 1.1.1.1 come up at least you have other codes stored.
One should be stored, through you taking the plug off in the first inst.
As you may know this comes up at the end of the cycle when flash codes have been relayed.
Start again.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2007 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any luck yet?

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2007 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Havent taken it to the mechanic as I am waiting for spares. Hydraulic pump kit and rubber suspension stoppers.

But I have had a different kind of a luck. I have identified a 1996 Silver Spirit 45000 kms. Additionally there is a possibility that I may be able to sell my existing Spur on an as is basis. Both deals under negotiation.

Dilemma is should I spend the additional money in getting a newer vehicle or spend it on my old one which is a known devil. Of course the newer vehicle has an immaculate interior - magnolia, compared to my existing one which is rather worn. The 1996 seems sweeter all over. Anything that I need to be wary of with a 1996 Spirit.

Hameed Noor Mohamed
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2007 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick
Many thanks for your support. The misfiring is GONE. The front hydraulic pump was serviced along with replacement of hydraulic valves to correct some leaks. In the process, the mechanic tightened / corrected some of the air hoses. End product - no misfire. I was going through the Workshop manual and the first step suggested for misfiring was to check all the vaccuum / air hoses very closely for leaks. Looks like a leak was fixed which cured the misfiring.

I decided against the 1996 and am sticking with mine. Will slowly bring to top shape hopefully, time permitting.

However, the shudder when moving from standing, especially reverse is still there. Now we suspect it is something mechanical, maybe something with the drive train thats causing the rough start. Moreover the car vibrates at over 120kmph (tyres are new and balanced with no flat spots). The hunt for the culprit causing the shudder will continue. The journey to perfection continues....

Patrick and others - thanks for all your help.