What is the Material/Padding undernea... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » What is the Material/Padding underneath the carpet? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, 21 April, 2007 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was doing a good cleaning today, and took out the carpets to get underneath. I have a small split in the passanger side, under the carpet. It appears to be a black leatherish material, with two pads of a foam substance under. Does anyone know what this is actually made out of? What kind of foam padding also? Anything special? Thanks for your help in advance! I cant imagine I am the only one with this issue, has anyone fixed theres?

Paul Yorke
Experienced User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 21 April, 2007 - 17:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason,

I don't think that either material is particularly special.

Depending on your car- It's a layer of rubber(ised) type material about 4 mm thick and a layer of foam about 12mm thick. There is often another layer or small strips of foam underneath to fill the lower corrigations in the floor pan.

They come already stuck together cut to shape with cut outs etc.

R-R use black gaffer / duct tape to join the front and rear and stick the edges, so depending on what size your split is , that may work.

If it is bad, it may be easier to pick up some second-hand.

For any body living in wetter countries with un-garaged cars it is a bit of a silent killer. Any water ingress will pool in the foam under the rubber layer. Because of the waterproof rubber layer the over csrpets do not get wet so the owner will not realise that he has a wet sponge sitting on his floor pan. I'm sure there must be notes on it here somewhere - but this did lead to R-R service centres checking - rustproofing - and on many occasion fitting a new floor pan - WITHOUT the owner being informed! It's good practice to check each service before the MOT man spots it from below!

Rusted floor

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, 21 April, 2007 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I look good, no rust to be seen...

I was going to say that the "tape" I saw looked somewhat like duct tape, however did assumed that Rolls Royce would not use something so common as duct tape.

I appear dry underneath as well, so I may just tape back up with duct tape.