TPS trouble? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » TPS trouble? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

phil randall
New User
Username: phil_randall

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2007 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello all
i have a slightly high tickover on my 1990 turbo r its about 650/680 rpm. so i checked the tps and i cannot find any continuity across any combination of the three pins on the cable from the tps (in any throttle position)also i cannot here an audible click from it when the throttle is operated,as described in the manual.i have checked the on board diagnostics and it has no faults recorded,also the kickdown does not work could that be related? all thoughts greatfully recieved.
cheers phil

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2007 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Phil,from memory if you have the KE2-jetronic. First with engine cranking or with engine runing do a check for battery voltage to the centre wire of the conector plug[switch terminal 18] either by disconecting the the plug from the switch or by rolling back the rubber boot.
The supply comes from the control or system RELAY.
Look at the system wireing etc if nowt!
Next if that is ok.
Worth trying while the plug is disconected and the throttle closed but you may have done this
slacken the securing screws of the switch and rotate the body and see if continuity exists between the centre no 18 and no 2 if not renew the switch.
Next check for continuity between no 18 and no 3 with the throtle fully open if not renew the switch.
When you did the flash codes did you have the 4.4.4.4 come up to confirm all is working well.
And yes it will effect the kick down.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2007 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil,

The throttle position sensor switch on your Motronic system should indeed show continuity at the upper and lower stops between the relevant terminals. The upper stop doubles as the transmission kickdown actuator switch. If it doesn't click audibly as you note, it is surely faulty. In theory you may repair it or clean it out, but it's a slippery pole and it may not last. Best is not to waste any more on diagnosis and costs: simply replace it. It is an inexpensive standard Bosch 0 280 120 300 part, but Delco and the rest sell the identical unit under their own cross-referenced part numbers. Then an idle speed of 580RPM can be reset if necessary.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 698
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2007 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RT. Like proceedure first in case other details go amiss,and then as you know it becomes a tinkering game.

phil randall
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2007 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my thanks to richard and patrick
i started by slackening the bolts and rotating the tps all the way clockwise (veiwed from l/h side of car)and managed to get a click when slightly moving the throttle, i then checked continuity at the loom end of the tps cable and found continuity between pins 3 and 2!? the middle pin having 14volts with engine running,so i reconnected the cable at the loom end and checked for cont at the tps plug and found 14volts on socket for pin 3 is that correct? .05 on 18 and 8volts on 2 (engine running). i have now taken apart the tps (i now have idiot rash from the scalpel) and found a dry solder joint on one of the full load contacts which i resoldered, so the tps checks out ok now.its now a question of the cable, was it made on a friday afternoon?. my thanks to you both.
cheers phil

phil randall
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 09 April, 2007 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

having replaced the tps and set it correctly i have done a ten mile road test, the kickdown is now working and everything is fine except the idle speed is still a bit high 650/680 rpm, is their a way to set it? because i cannot find any info in the manual.
cheers phil

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, 10 April, 2007 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil can you do another flash test to make sure no codes are pressent now that the TPS is working.

phil randall
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 11 April, 2007 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

patrick, ive done another flash test before starting the engine from cold, it showed 4.3.1.2. spark timing sendor. i cleared the code and started the engine, for the first time in my ownership the revs rose instantly to 800, instead of faffing about for a few seconds before rising, ive been for a drive and checked the codes again, it shows no faults stored. however i think i might have lost the kickdown again!!
cheers phil

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, 11 April, 2007 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil,if the kickdown is not working then i would suggest a new TPS,after it is fitted,due to the flash codes that i would expect that are not present i would at this stage isolate the battery for 5 mins.
This will let the ECU reset itself and collect any faults after a good long varied drive to flag any codes if present with the kickdown working and resetting the idle speed back to default values.

phil randall
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 12 April, 2007 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

patrick, i have found a second dry joint in the tps, its now remade and refitted, the car now starts,idles and kicks down as it should. all my messing about with the tps proves richard's and your point about fitting a new one straight away!! i owe you a pint! my greatful thanks.
cheers phil