Odd Idol Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Odd Idol « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2007 - 13:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All! Been awhile since I have posted... Been really busy - hope all is well.

The 82 Spirit is running nicely. No major problems, and I just put her into the shop for an oil change, and general going over & service.

As most of you know, I have had a few issues with the car since purchase, not as many as some have, but a few. Since purchasing the car, I have had a rocky (at times) idol. We decided that we would take care of the major issues first, and then get to the idol. The idol issue does not always happen, and it seems to dissapear upon driving the car for extended periods of time. If I drive the car every day, the idol is not that bad.

I had the plugs changed, along with the plug wires (one of which was bad) and we do notice an improvement, however still happens. My mechanic says he is going to take a look at the distributer while in the shop for oil change etc. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance as usual!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 695
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2007 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the mechanic has access to a scope this may help with the electronic ignition,distributor cap and rotor.
Ignition timing is worth a check if not already done.

The varieing float level in a carb can cause a intermitent rough idle as can a blocking flame trap.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, 09 April, 2007 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another thought,have known a gumed up valve to start to stick a little when engine is cold,clears when engine warms up!
Does the engine use much oil or give off any blue smoke on the over run.

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, 10 April, 2007 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No smoke at all...

We adjusted the plug wires, which made an inprovement. We are going to check the distributor cap tomorrow..